1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hoffman and Kunze's Suitable for Introduction to LA?

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to self-study LA this year. For anyone who has used Hoffman and Kunze's LA text, would you recommend it as an introduction to LA? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2008 #2
    Depends. If you're a mathematics major it's worth reading, if not, stick to the recommended book or course notes. I haven't read it completely, I've read bits of it, and it's at a slightly higher level than my 1st LA course was. Don't expect it to walk you through proofs though.
  4. Aug 21, 2008 #3
    I'm just trying to learn by myself- first time dealing with linear algebra.
  5. Aug 22, 2008 #4
  6. Aug 24, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

here is one more free one from me:
    it assumes you know about row reduction of matrices, and covers all the higher level stuff.

the new notes for my summer course 4050 in advanced linear algebra are up on my webpage. they cover jordan and generalized jordan form, duality, spectral theorems, determinants, finite abelian groups, and constant coefficient linear ode's. they are an expansion to 68 pages of my 14 page linear algebra primer. they are much more explanatory. still they cover in 68 pages more than most books do in several hundred pages. i hope they are readable. there is a table of contents. the introduction got omitted from the notes but appears on the webpage. enjoy!
  7. Aug 28, 2008 #6
    Thanks guys. I think your notes, mathwonk, are too advanced for me right now, but I'll be sure to check them out when I get there. Thanks again.
  8. Aug 29, 2008 #7

Science Advisor

I learnt linear algebra on my own from Schaum's series "Outline of Linear Algebra" by Seymour Lipschutz. That was about 20 years ago, so I don't know if the latest edition is just as good. It's very introductory, lots of worked examples, after reading even half of it you will deceive yourself that you can do any problem in linear algebra. It's enough linear algebra, say, for a typical undergraduate course in quantum mechanics.
  9. Nov 17, 2009 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?