1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subfields of C (Hoffman/Kunze LA)

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    I'm taking my first proof heavy class, linear algebra. Unfortunately, I'm taking a long time picking up proofs in general, so I'm going to try and work through some of the material in Hoffman/Kunze.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the set of all complex numbers in the form of x + y√2, where x and y are rational, is a subfield of C.

2. Relevant equations
    The nine rules of algebra...
    x+y=y+x

3. The attempt at a solution
    In general, a subfield has to obey the nine rules of algebra (addition and multiplication) and if x and y are elements of the field F, then so are (x+y), -x, xy, and x^-1.

I'm not going to spend time writing a proof in this particular post. I just want some general guidance on how to approach certain proofs.

For this one, my first idea is to define two numbers, (x1+y1√2) and (x2+y2√2), and then show that "(x+y), -x, xy, and x^-1" are all complex numbers. I'll do this by simple addition/multiplication and, which stem from the nine rules.

Would this work? Sorry for the lack of LaTeX. I just want to get this question out before dinner.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That won't prove the conjecture. Denoting F={x+y√2:x,y ∈ Q}, you need to show that (for example), (x+y√2)-1 is a member of F. Showing that the multiplicative inverse is a member of C doesn't help prove the conjecture.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    Can I use the previously mentioned method for the other conditions?

For example:
    (x1+y1√2)+(x2+y2√2)=(x1+x2)+(y1+y2)√2
    The sum must be in F since the sum of rational numbers are rational.

Likewise, a rational number multiplied by negative one will still be rational, thus they still fit under the conditions of F. Following that train of thought, I would just foil (x*y) and use the same reasoning.

As for (x+y√2)-1, the denominator must not be equal to zero. Then I reason that [(x+y√2)-1]-1=(x+y√2) is a member of F, which it is.

Thanks for the help.

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's good. You used a constructive proof to show that the addition is closed in F.

That's not good. Your proof assumes that for 1/z is a member of F if z is in F. It doesn't prove it. You can either use a constructive approach as you did for closure of addition, or non-constructive approach such as proof by contradiction.

6. Oct 9, 2011 #5
    Ok, so I think I have the constructive proof:

(x+y√2)-1=(x+y√2)-1*[(x-y√2)/(x-y√2)]=(x-y√2)/(x2-2y2)=x/(x2-2y2) + (-y)√2/(x2-2y2)

where both x/(x2-2y2) and (-y)/(x2-2y2) are rational.

For the proof by contradiction, do I start by asserting (x+y√2)-1 is not a member of F? So x and/or y are irrational numbers?

Thanks.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Very good, but there is one minor problem here: How do you know that both of these are rational? Just because both the numerator and denominator are integers is not enough; x/0 is not rational. In other words, how do you know that the denominator is not zero?

First off, you have a constructive proof, and constructive proofs are almost always preferred over non-constructive proofs.

To prove this by contradiction, you would start by assuming that there exists some non-zero z∈F such that the multiplicative inverse of z is not an element of F. All it takes is one counterexample to disprove closure. From this you would have to arrive at a contradiction. This will not be easy. The constructive proof is much easier.

8. Oct 9, 2011 #7
    If the denominator were zero, then either (x+y√2) or (x-y√2) would have to equal zero, but this can't be since division by zero is impossible. (x+y√2)-1 or (x-y√2)/(x-y√2) would provide an undefined answer.

Should I have stated beforehand that both terms are non-zero?

If you wouldn't mind, how would I structure the proof in a "professional manner"? I've just started reading a logic/proof book (Velleman's How to Approach It), so hopefully this will become easier.

9. Oct 9, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The missing ingredient that DH is talking about is that in finding inverses, you can only assume x+sqrt(2)*y is nonzero. If x-sqrt(2)*y were zero then that would mean x+sqrt(2)*y would have an undefined inverse. Can you show that doesn't ever happen? I.e. can you show x^2-2*y^2 with x and y rational is only zero if x and y are both zero??

10. Oct 9, 2011 #9
    I'm not sure where I would fit this detail in the proof, but:

x2-2y2 would only equal zero if x-y√2 were zero.

I'll first let x-y√2=0
    so, x=y√2.
    Because x and y are rational, this can only occur if x=y=0. This means that when both x and y aren't zero, x2-2y2 will give a non-zero rational number.

11. Oct 9, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. The important thing is that sqrt(2) is irrational. So your denominators are never zero unless x=y=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook