Holography used in telecommunications

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential applications of holography in telecommunications, specifically in the accurate surface mapping of parabolic reflector dishes. The use of holography in computer networking is also mentioned, with a suggestion of using a separate fixed antenna as a phase reference for recording the amplitude and phase of the signal. Further research on this topic is suggested to learn more about the potential use of holography in telecommunications.
ElectroFractal
TL;DR Summary
I am curious to know if holography is used in telecommunications or if there is research on this topic.
Hi PF!

I am interested to know whether there are applications of holography in telecommunications, and if there is research on this topic. If there is some literature on this topic (provided holography is used in computer networking) where I can read and learn more in-depth about this topic, I will appreciate it very much

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the 1970s we used to occasionally test microwave links by raising an antenna up the mast from ground level. The received power varied in a rippling manner as height was increased, depending on the path. The cause of this ripple is that the direct signal (which may be considered the reference) combines with a delayed ground reflected signal and the two combine as phasors. I realized that this set up is creating a hologram, as with light. The ripple is a holographic image of the path. However, was never able to try and read-back the final plot in some sort of holographic way, such as with a laser, so never tested it. I suppose today a computer could analyse the information directly. I imagine the result would just be the location of any ground reflected images.

tech99 said:
I realized that this set up is creating a hologram, as with light.
Amplitude alone is insufficient. By using a separate fixed antenna as a phase reference, then recording the amplitude and the phase as you raise the antenna, you will have a hologram.

My understanding was that the hologram captures the phase information within the interference pattern, so that a separate phase measurement is not required.

You need a phase reference. In an optical system you use two different paths for the light, the light reflected from an object and another beam coherent with the first but taking a different path to the recording medium thus acting as a phase reference.

Likes Baluncore

1. What is holography?

Holography is a technique that uses light diffraction to produce a three-dimensional image of an object. It involves recording the interference pattern of light waves reflected off an object and then reconstructing the image using a laser.

2. How is holography used in telecommunications?

In telecommunications, holography is used to create secure and tamper-proof holographic images on credit cards, IDs, and other important documents. It is also used to create holographic displays for virtual meetings and teleconferencing.

3. What are the benefits of using holography in telecommunications?

Holography offers enhanced security as it is difficult to replicate or counterfeit holographic images. It also provides a more immersive and realistic experience for virtual meetings and presentations.

4. Can holography be used for long-distance telecommunications?

Yes, holography can be used for long-distance telecommunications by using fiber optic cables to transmit the laser beams that reconstruct the holographic image. This allows for real-time communication and collaboration between individuals in different locations.

5. Is holography expensive to implement in telecommunications?

The cost of implementing holography in telecommunications can vary depending on the specific application and technology used. However, advancements in holographic technology have made it more affordable and accessible in recent years.