Hom. heat equation in cylindrical coordinates using Fourier & Laplace transforms

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the homogeneous heat equation for a semi-infinite cylinder in cylindrical coordinates with various boundary conditions and initial values. The speaker initially tries separation of variables but has trouble with the boundary conditions. They then consider using Green's functions but are unsure of how to proceed without an internal heat source. The next approach they plan to try is using Fourier and Laplace transforms, but they are unsure of how to apply them to a PDE with multiple variables and account for the semi-infinite nature of the cylinder. The conversation ends with the speaker planning to work through the math and post their findings.
charndt
I'm trying to solve the homogeneous heat equation of a semi-infinite cylinder in cylindrical coordinates for a semi-infinite cable (no theta dependence):
[tex]\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=D\left(\frac{\partial^{2} U}{\partial r^{2}}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial U}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial^{2} U}{\partial z^{2}}\right) [/tex]
with boundary conditions and initial values:
  • [tex](1) U(r,z,0)=0[/tex]
  • [tex](2) U(r,\infty,t)=0[/tex]
  • [tex](3) U(R,z,t)=0[/tex]
  • [tex](4) kU_{z}(r,0,t)=\Phi_{o} [/tex]
Where r,z,t represent what they usually do, D is the thermal diffusivity, k is the thermal conductivity, and [tex]\Phi_{o}[/tex] is a constant flux going into one end of the cylinder at z=0. R is the radius of the cylinder.

I first tried separation of variables, which was working fine with two separation constants, but I had trouble getting the boundary conditions to fit. A friend suggested I try Green's functions, but I wasn't sure how to go about that since there is no internal heat source. So, my next attempt was going to be with Fourier and Laplace transforms.

I've never had to apply two transforms to a PDE before, so I'm a little unsure how to begin.

Correct me if I'm wrong: I should apply the Laplace transform to the time derivative, and the Fourier transform to the position derivatives. I haven't seen any examples of using a Fourier transform on more than one variable, so I'm stuck in this step. Also, the cylinder is semi-infinite, not infinite, so how should I account for this with the Fourier transform?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?? Just a quick "no, that will not work..." or the like would be very helpful. I haven't been able to work on the problem much since I posted it, but I'm planning on using a Laplace transform for time and z, and a finite Hankel/Fourier-Bessel transform for the radial component.

I'll work through the math tonight and post what I come up with.

1. What is the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The heat equation in cylindrical coordinates is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of heat in a cylindrical object or space over time. It takes into account the radial, angular, and axial coordinates of the object or space.

2. What are Fourier and Laplace transforms?

Fourier and Laplace transforms are mathematical tools used to solve differential equations, such as the heat equation. These transforms convert a function from one domain (such as time or space) to another (such as frequency or complex numbers), making it easier to solve the equation.

3. How are Fourier and Laplace transforms used in solving the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates?

Fourier and Laplace transforms are used to convert the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved using standard mathematical techniques. This allows for a more efficient and accurate solution to the heat equation.

4. What are the advantages of using Fourier and Laplace transforms in solving the heat equation?

The use of Fourier and Laplace transforms allows for a more general and elegant solution to the heat equation, as it takes into account all three dimensions of cylindrical coordinates. It also allows for the incorporation of boundary and initial conditions, making it a more realistic and accurate representation of heat distribution.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier and Laplace transforms in solving the heat equation in cylindrical coordinates?

While Fourier and Laplace transforms are useful tools for solving the heat equation, they do have limitations. They may not be applicable to all types of boundary conditions, and they may not always provide an exact solution. In some cases, numerical methods may need to be used in conjunction with these transforms for a more accurate solution.