Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homeomorphism between a 1-dim vector space and R

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    im trying to get a homeomorphism between a 1-dim vector space and R, but independent of the basis.
    Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2
    Re: homeomorphisms

Do you mean homomorphism? Homeomorphisms are maps between topological spaces.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3

no i meant homeomorphism,
    im trying to get a chart (manifolds- C^(/infinity) structure) from V to R
    we can though define the norm right and induce a topology on our vector space,
    but i still cant see the homeomorphism,
    ofcourse the hard thing is that i want it to be independent of the basis, or else, it would've been trivial.

5. Mar 24, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would be pretty surprised if you could find one that's basis free.

You can't even define the norm without a basis unless you have a basis free definition for a linear isomorphism between V and R.

6. Mar 24, 2010 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you give a precise statement of what you mean by "independent of basis"?

7. Mar 25, 2010 #6

yeah sure, i think they mean for whatever choice of bases, we can get the same result.

8. Mar 25, 2010 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then pick a particular basis, and use that to define an isomorphism of vector spaces.

Once you have done that, you have defined a function. The value of the function depends only on the point chosen and nothing else.

(Of course, the obvious method for computing values of this function would probably make use of the basis you originally chose)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook