Homework Help First day NOOB to physics

In summary, someone new to physics is having trouble understanding what they are doing in the help guides and books, and they are asking for help with two specific questions. The first question is how to convert .998 grams/cm^3 to kg/m^3. The second question is how to find the volume of the Earth to the correct number of sig figures. Someone was able to help the person by converting the grams to kilograms and providing the equation for the volume of a sphere. The person was then able to solve the equation in the correct order.
mrserv0n
I am new to physics and have bought the dummies books and help guides, I just can't grasp it, and it doesn't help I stink at algebra, can someone PLEASE help me with these 2 questions in detail so I can understand what I am doing wrong. Thank you SO much.

Convert .998 grams/cm^3 to kg/m^3

I understand that .998 grams is .000998 kg , and I know that 100cm = 1 meter but I don't know what to do with this information.second questions is
The radius of the Earth is 6.37X10^6 meters. Determine the volume of the Earth to the correct number of sig figures.

I am forever grateful to those whole could help a lost soul

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First Question hint: would you be able to just convert grams to kiligrams? or just cm to meters? try doing the first step(grams to kgs) then i'll get back to you.

Second question hint: What is the formula for the volume of a sphere? Remember geometry?

Show some work and i'll be able to help you a little better.

Conversion factors:

1 kg = 1000 grams = 10^3 grams
1 m = 100 cm

So

1 m^3 = (100)^3 cm^3 = 10^6 cm^3

Or, going the other way:

1 gram = 10^-3 kg.
1 cm^3 = 10^-6 m^3

So

0.998 g/cm^3 = 0.998 (10^-3 kg)/(10^-6 m^3)
= 0.998 (10^3) kg/m^3
= 998 kg/m^3

G01 said:
First Question hint: would you be able to just convert grams to kiligrams? or just cm to meters? try doing the first step(grams to kgs) then i'll get back to you.

Second question hint: What is the formula for the volume of a sphere? Remember geometry?

Show some work and i'll be able to help you a little better.

Ok volume of a sphere is 4/3(3.14)r^3

or in my case 4/3(3.14) 6.37x10^6^3

Im not sure how to solve this equation though, like in what order.

James R said:
Conversion factors:

1 kg = 1000 grams = 10^3 grams
1 m = 100 cm

So

1 m^3 = (100)^3 cm^3 = 10^6 cm^3

Or, going the other way:

1 gram = 10^-3 kg.
1 cm^3 = 10^-6 m^3

So

0.998 g/cm^3 = 0.998 (10^-3 kg)/(10^-6 m^3)
= 0.998 (10^3) kg/m^3
= 998 kg/m^3

Hey thanks a lot for taking the time it really helped me out and I was able to solve the next two similar ones. Thanks again

mrserv0n said:
4/3(3.14) 6.37x10^6^3
Be careful here. Some parenthesis would help to make sure that you do things in the right order. Without them, depending on what kind of calculator or computer you're using, you might be dividing 4 by the rest of the equation.

tony873004 said:
Be careful here. Some parenthesis would help to make sure that you do things in the right order. Without them, depending on what kind of calculator or computer you're using, you might be dividing 4 by the rest of the equation.

I was too :) I figured out the answer though, it was just a matter of solving the math in the correct order.

1. What is the best way to approach physics as a beginner?

The best way to approach physics as a beginner is to start with the basics. Make sure you have a solid understanding of math and algebra, as they are essential for understanding physics concepts. It's also important to stay organized and keep up with the material as you learn new concepts. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help when needed.

2. How can I improve my understanding of the material?

One way to improve your understanding of the material is to practice solving problems. Physics is a subject that requires a lot of practice, so make sure to work through as many practice problems as you can. You can also try explaining concepts to others or teaching the material to someone else, as this can help solidify your understanding.

3. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular concept?

If you are struggling with a particular concept, don't hesitate to seek help from your teacher, classmates, or a tutor. It's important to address any confusion or difficulties early on so that you can fully understand the concept before moving on to more advanced material.

4. How can I prepare for exams and quizzes in physics?

To prepare for exams and quizzes in physics, make sure to review your notes and practice problems regularly. It's also helpful to create study guides or flashcards to review important concepts and equations. Don't wait until the last minute to study, as physics requires a lot of practice and understanding of the material.

5. Are there any online resources that can help me with homework and understanding physics?

Yes, there are many online resources that can help with homework and understanding physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. These resources provide explanations, examples, and practice problems to help strengthen your understanding of physics concepts.