Homework Question: Forces on an incline

In summary, an object with a mass of 10.0 kg is released from the top of a 1.00m high incline with a 15.0 degree angle with the horizontal. It is measured to have a speed of 3.00m/s at the bottom of the incline. To find the constant frictional force (Fk) along the incline, the net force on the object can be calculated using the known values of initial and final velocity and displacement. This can be used to determine the frictional force acting on the object.
Heatherfeather4
Member warned to use the formatting template for homework posts.
A 10.0 kg object is released from the top of an incline with a height of 1.00m. The incline makes a 15.0 degree angle with the horizontal. If the speed of the object is measured to be 3.00m/s at the bottom of the incline, what was the constant frictional force (Fk) along the incline?

I have tried everything I can think of to solve this but cannot find the correct solution. The given answer was -13.7N.

I started with a force diagram and then I tried setting the x and y forces equal to zero and solving for that but got lost. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Post them here.

Post what here?

Your workings.

Heatherfeather4 said:
A 10.0 kg object is released from the top of an incline with a height of 1.00m. The incline makes a 15.0 degree angle with the horizontal. If the speed of the object is measured to be 3.00m/s at the bottom of the incline, what was the constant frictional force (Fk) along the incline?

I have tried everything I can think of to solve this but cannot find the correct solution. The given answer was -13.7N.

I started with a force diagram and then I tried setting the x and y forces equal to zero and solving for that but got lost. Any help would be appreciated!
You have initial and final velocity as well as the displacement. Can you find the net force on the object?

Here is the work. I do not understand how this would help find Fk and I do not understand where the velocity has to do with this problem.

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 359
Heatherfeather4 said:
Here is the work. I do not understand how this would help find Fk and I do not understand where the velocity has to do with this problem.
Just focus on the forces along the incline. The velocities and displacement will help you find the net force (along the incline). From the diagram, you can write the equation for the net force and plug in the values known to you to calculate the frictional force.

The object is subject to constant force thus constant acceleration.
You know the length traveled and both initial and final velocity.

What is an incline?

An incline is a sloped surface or ramp that is used to move objects from one height to another. It can also refer to a tilted plane used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity and other forces.

How do forces affect an object on an incline?

Forces, such as gravity, normal force, and friction, act on an object on an incline to either move it down the incline or keep it in place. These forces can be broken down into components that are parallel and perpendicular to the incline, and the net force determines the motion of the object.

What is the formula for calculating the net force on an object on an incline?

The formula for calculating the net force on an object on an incline is Fnet = mgsinθ - μmgcosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

How does the angle of the incline affect the forces on an object?

The angle of the incline affects the forces acting on an object by changing the amount of gravitational force and the normal force. As the angle increases, the component of gravitational force parallel to the incline also increases, while the component of the normal force perpendicular to the incline decreases. This can result in a net force that moves the object down the incline.

How can forces on an incline be used in real-life applications?

Forces on an incline are relevant in many real-life applications, such as ramps and hills used for transportation, conveyor belts used in manufacturing, and ski slopes used for recreation. Understanding the forces involved can help engineers design safer and more efficient structures.