Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?

In summary: Clearly, that would be more than 10 pounds of force...but for a very small fraction of a second. Once the tissue starts moving it will quickly run into the air in front of it, and that will slow it down. But I do think it is possible to apply a force greater than 10 pounds to it for a short period of time.In summary, the professor's answers are correct for questions 1, 2, 3, and 4. For question 5, it is possible for a heavyweight champion to exert a force greater than 10 pounds on a piece of tissue paper for a brief moment before it slows down due to air resistance.
  • #1
lousymusicmaker
8
0
Here's some questions from a friends homework that we submitted online. I think the answers that the professor marked are wrong. If they are right please explain it to me.

1) A golf ball moving forward with 1 unit of momentum strikes and bounces backward off a heavy bowling ball that is initially at rest and free to move. The bowling ball is set in motion with a momentum of

My answer: less than 1 unit of momentum

Correct answer: more than 1 unit of momentum

2) A jumbo jet has a mass of 100,000 kg. The thrust for each of its four engines is 50,000 N. What is the jet's acceleration in meters per second per second when taking off?

I'm not sure if I'm right or he is, but i used F = ma and got 1/2 m/s^2.

Correct answer: 2 m/s^2

3)A 1-kg glider and a 2-kg glider both slide toward each other at 1 m/s on an air track. They collide and stick. The combined mass moves at

I said 1/6 m/s.

Correct answer 1/3 m/s.

I guess it depends on how you interpret the phrase "slide toward each other at 1 m/s"


4) A 5000-kg freight car moving at 2 m/s runs into a 10,000-kg freight car at rest. They couple upon collision and move away as one body at

My answer: 2/3 m/s

Correct answer: 2 m/s

Someone please explain to me how a small object hitting a stationary bigger object can make them both move at the same speed the smaller object was moving before the collision.


5)Your friend says that the heavyweight champion of the world cannot exert a force of 50 N on a piece of tissue paper with his best punch. (50N is a force equal to roughly a 10 pound weight.) The tissue paper is held in midair - no wall, no tricks. You agree or disagree?

Why can't you exert a force of 50N on a piece of tissue paper? Is it because the paper rips? What if the paper is not held securely and the paper could move? Could you then exert 50N of force on it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
OOPs didnt read the sticky. Sorry. Perhaps an admin can move it?
 
  • #3
lousymusicmaker said:
Here's some questions from a friends homework that we submitted online. I think the answers that the professor marked are wrong. If they are right please explain it to me.

1) A golf ball moving forward with 1 unit of momentum strikes and bounces backward off a heavy bowling ball that is initially at rest and free to move. The bowling ball is set in motion with a momentum of

My answer: less than 1 unit of momentum

Correct answer: more than 1 unit of momentum

The quantity that is conserved is not the absolute momentum but the vectorial momentum. Initially, the total momentum of the system is +1. After the interaction, the golf ball bounces back, so it's momentum is negative (speed in the negative x direction). Hence, for the total momentum to be 1, the momentum of the big ball has to be greater than unity.
 
  • #4
That makes sense. It's been awhile since I had physics class.
 
  • #5
lousymusicmaker said:
2) A jumbo jet has a mass of 100,000 kg. The thrust for each of its four engines is 50,000 N. What is the jet's acceleration in meters per second per second when taking off?

I'm not sure if I'm right or he is, but i used F = ma and got 1/2 m/s^2.

Correct answer: 2 m/s^2

Is that all the information you are given? Because from what I understand, the plane will take off when the vertical force on it counter balances the force of gravity. The vertical force on the plane as a function of the horizontal speed of the plane is a function of the geometry of the plane (roughly, it depends on the angle of inclination and area of its wings) and of the coefficient of friction for air at sea level.
 
  • #6
I think your getting into to much detail. It's an intro course. I think he just wants to know if 50,000N force is applied to a 100,000kg object, how fast will it accelerate?
 
  • #7
lousymusicmaker said:
3)A 1-kg glider and a 2-kg glider both slide toward each other at 1 m/s on an air track. They collide and stick. The combined mass moves at

I said 1/6 m/s.

Correct answer 1/3 m/s.

I guess it depends on how you interpret the phrase "slide toward each other at 1 m/s"

Initial momentum = (1kg)(2m/s)-(1kg)(1m/s)=2-1=1kgm/s

Final momentum = (2kg)v. It must equal initial momentum, so
2v=1 ==> v=1/2.
 
  • #8
lousymusicmaker said:
I think your getting into to much detail. It's an intro course. I think he just wants to know if 50,000N force is applied to a 100,000kg object, how fast will it accelerate?

Right, he asks for acceleration, not speed. Sorry. Ok...hum

Total force = 4*50,000=200,000. Resulting acceleration=F/m = 200,000/100,000=2
 
  • #9
4) is 2/3 in my part of the world as well.
 
  • #10
Ok, that makes sense. Misread that. EACH engine has 50000N of force.
 
  • #11
quasar987 said:
Initial momentum = (1kg)(2m/s)-(1kg)(1m/s)=2-1=1kgm/s

Final momentum = (2kg)v. It must equal initial momentum, so
2v=1 ==> v=1/2.


Shouldn't it be something like. p = m1(mass of object 1)v1(velocity of object 1) + m2v2 which would be p = 2(1) - 1(1) = 1 Then take p = mv, 1 = 3v, v = 1/3

Unless you interpret that as they are approaching each other at 1 m/s. which would give you 1/6 m/s.
 
  • #12
lousymusicmaker said:
Shouldn't it be something like. p = m1(mass of object 1)v1(velocity of object 1) + m2v2 which would be p = 2(1) - 1(1) = 1 Then take p = mv, 1 = 3v, v = 1/3

Unless you interpret that as they are approaching each other at 1 m/s. which would give you 1/6 m/s.

OK nvm, that's the same thing you had just the mass in the final one is 3kg.
 
  • #13
and for 5) I'd say he can too. If we assume that the tissue is floating in midair and the guy hits it. The tissue will very rapidly pass from null speed to the same velocity as the punch (the two objects will stick).
 
  • #14
lousymusicmaker said:
Shouldn't it be something like. p = m1(mass of object 1)v1(velocity of object 1) + m2v2 which would be p = 2(1) - 1(1) = 1 Then take p = mv, 1 = 3v, v = 1/3

Yes that's more like it.
 
  • #15
Thanks for your help. Now I can go back and explain them to my friend and make her argue for the other two.
 
  • #16
lousymusicmaker said:
5)Your friend says that the heavyweight champion of the world cannot exert a force of 50 N on a piece of tissue paper with his best punch. (50N is a force equal to roughly a 10 pound weight.) The tissue paper is held in midair - no wall, no tricks. You agree or disagree?

Why can't you exert a force of 50N on a piece of tissue paper? Is it because the paper rips? What if the paper is not held securely and the paper could move? Could you then exert 50N of force on it?
Estimate the mass of a piece of tissue paper. What acceleration would it have if you applied a force of 50N? What force would the fist have acting on it if the fist applied 50N to the paper?

Actually, there is no definitive answer to this question. One could argue that the force on the tissue paper is enormous, but of such short duration that the fighter would not even notice. But when you throw in stuff like the "give" in the boxing glove and all that you are hard pressed to defend a 50N force.
 

Related to Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?

1. What is the purpose of "Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?"

The purpose of "Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?" is to gain a better understanding of the material and to demonstrate your learning to the professor. It is also a way for the professor to assess your progress and provide feedback.

2. Are "Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?" important for my grade?

Yes, "Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?" are usually an important part of your grade and should be taken seriously. They allow you to practice and apply what you have learned, and they also demonstrate your effort and understanding to the professor.

3. Can I ask for help from others on "Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?"

It is important to work on "Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?" independently to truly gauge your understanding. However, if you are truly stuck, you can seek help from your peers or the professor. Just make sure to give credit to any outside sources that helped you with the assignment.

4. How can I ensure that my "Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?" are accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of your "Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?", make sure to double check your work and refer back to your notes or textbook. It is also helpful to ask for feedback from your peers or the professor to catch any mistakes or misunderstandings.

5. Is it okay to ask the professor to check my answers on "Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?"

It is always okay to ask the professor for clarification or feedback on your "Homework Questions? Am I right or the Professor?", but keep in mind that they may not have the time to check every single answer for every student. It is best to ask specific questions or for help on areas where you are unsure, rather than expecting the professor to check all of your work.

Similar threads

Replies
1
Views
675
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
10
Views
1K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
7
Views
731
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
19
Views
1K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
9
Views
1K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
9
Views
928
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
11
Views
1K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
20
Views
1K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
2
Views
1K
Back
Top