Homework questions, help or hints much appreciated =D

• Thread starter moshilover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a ball's maximum height when thrown vertically upwards, taking into account its initial vertical speed, acceleration of gravity, and neglecting air resistance. The first question uses multiple formulas to find the height, but the resulting answers are incorrect. The second question asks for the initial vertical speed, v0, and the answer is determined to be 0. The conversation also brings up the importance of accounting for negative signs in gravitational acceleration.
moshilover
1. A ball is thrown upward. Its initial vertical speed is 10.4 m/s, acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, and maximum height hmax are shown in the figure below. What is its height, hmax? Answer in units of m. Neglect: air resistance

For this one I used 3 different formulas in different ways and each answer I got was wrong when I checked it. I divided 10.4 and 9.8 and got .9423076923 for time. Then I plugged that into a distance formula of d=ViT+1/2aT^2 and got 16.55510205 which was wrong.

2.A ball is thrown upward. Its initial vertical speed is v0, acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, and maximum height is 5.5 m, as shown in the figure below. What is its initial vertical speed, v0? Answer in units of m/s. Neglect: Air resistance

So since the initial vertical speed is v0 wouldn't the initial velocity just be 0?? And so the answer is 0??

Physics news on Phys.org
moshilover said:
1. A ball is thrown upward. Its initial vertical speed is 10.4 m/s, acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, and maximum height hmax are shown in the figure below. What is its height, hmax? Answer in units of m. Neglect: air resistance

For this one I used 3 different formulas in different ways and each answer I got was wrong when I checked it. I divided 10.4 and 9.8 and got .9423076923 for time. Then I plugged that into a distance formula of d=ViT+1/2aT^2 and got 16.55510205 which was wrong.

Did you plug in the negative sign for gravitational acceleration?

moshilover said:
2.A ball is thrown upward. Its initial vertical speed is v0, acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, and maximum height is 5.5 m, as shown in the figure below. What is its initial vertical speed, v0? Answer in units of m/s. Neglect: Air resistance

What does the velocity of the ball equal at the point of the maximum height?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your homework questions. I am happy to provide you with some guidance and hints to help you solve these problems.

1. When solving for the maximum height, hmax, of a ball thrown upward, we can use the formula hmax = (v0)^2/2g, where v0 is the initial vertical speed and g is the acceleration of gravity. We know that v0 = 10.4 m/s and g = 9.8 m/s^2. Plugging these values into the formula, we get hmax = (10.4)^2/2(9.8) = 5.42 m. Therefore, the maximum height of the ball is 5.42 m.

2. For the second problem, you are correct that the initial vertical speed, v0, is 0 since the ball is thrown upward with an initial vertical velocity of 0. However, we can also use the formula hmax = (v0)^2/2g to solve for v0. Rearranging the formula, we get v0 = √(2ghmax). Plugging in the given values, we get v0 = √(2(9.8)(5.5)) = 9.9 m/s. So, the initial vertical speed of the ball is 9.9 m/s.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction to solve these problems. Remember to always double check your calculations and units to make sure your answer is correct. Good luck!

What is the purpose of asking for help with homework questions?

The purpose of asking for help with homework questions is to gain a better understanding of the material and improve your overall knowledge and academic performance. It is also a way to seek clarification on concepts and receive guidance on how to approach difficult problems.

Who can I ask for help with homework questions?

You can ask for help with homework questions from your classmates, teachers, tutors, or online resources such as forums or educational websites. It is important to choose a reliable source and make sure to give credit to any outside help you receive.

What type of questions can I ask for help with?

You can ask for help with any type of question related to your homework, such as clarifying confusing instructions, understanding a concept, or solving a specific problem. However, it is important to make sure that you have put effort into solving the problem on your own before asking for help.

How can I ask for help with homework questions effectively?

To ask for help with homework questions effectively, it is important to be specific and provide as much information as possible, such as the subject, topic, and any relevant details about the problem. It is also important to be respectful and grateful for any help you receive.

Is it ethical to ask for help with homework questions?

It is ethical to ask for help with homework questions as long as you are not plagiarizing or cheating. Seeking help is a normal part of the learning process and can actually improve your understanding of the material. However, make sure to use the help you receive to guide your own work, rather than simply copying it.