What is the kernel of the determinant mapping in GL(2,R)?

In summary, we discussed the group of nonzero real numbers under multiplication, R*, and the determinant mapping A->det A, which is a homomorphism from the General Linear group GL(2,R) to R*. We also mentioned the kernel of the determinant mapping, which is the Special Linear group SL(2,R). We clarified that the kernel is the preimage of the identity element (1) in R*, and that SL(2,R) is a subgroup of GL(2,R). We also addressed the confusion between the identity element in a group and the additive identity in a ring. Overall, we covered the definitions and properties of these groups and their relation to the determinant mapping.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Let R* be the group of nonzero real numbersunder multiplications. Then the determinant mapping A->det A is a homomorphism from GL(2,R) to R* . The kernel of the determinant mapping is SL(2,R).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know det(A)det(B)=det(AB) but other than knowing that property, I don't understand the meaning of the kernel nor SL(2,R) nor do I understand how GL(2,R) is a homomorphism. I know SL(2,R) stands for Special linear group and GL(2,R) General Linear group.

Physics news on Phys.org
GL(2,R) isn't a homomorphism. It is a group. Your post clearly states that the determinant map is a homomorphism, not GL(n,R).

What is det(I), I the identity?

Doesn't this show that det satisfies the definition of homomorphism?

You do understand what SL(2,R) is - you wrote out its definition: the set of matrices of determinant 1.

The kernel is the set of matrices sent to the identity...

Isn't the kernel the set of stuff that is sent to 0, not the identity?

theperthvan said:
Isn't the kernel the set of stuff that is sent to 0, not the identity?
Groups aren't even required to have an element called '0'!

Yeah true, so the definition I had must've been for something with identity=0. So is it really what is sent to the identity?

In a group, the identity is often denoted e. The zero is the additive identity element in a ring. The wikipedia article calls the identity element (in a group) 1.

So, calling the additive identity either 0 or 1 is generally a bad idea. (the '1' is actually 0 in the group of integers and all of its subgroups, and calling it '0' is...a ring thing)

The kernel of a group homomorphism phi:A->B is the preimage of {e_B} under phi, e_B the identity element in e_B. The preimage of a subset S of B under a function f:A->B is defined set theoretically as {x in A : f(x) in S}.

So for your problem: What's the identity element in R*? (Certainly not zero!) What's the preimage of this identity under the group homomorphism given by the determinant?

These should all be obvious to you.

(Note: SL(n,R) is defined as the nxn matrices over R with determinant 1. Exercise: Show that this is a subgroup of GL(n,R))

Last edited:

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a function that preserves the structure of a mathematical object. In other words, it maps elements from one algebraic structure to another in a way that preserves the operations and relationships between elements.

2. What is the difference between a monomorphism, epimorphism, and isomorphism?

A monomorphism is a homomorphism that is one-to-one, meaning each element in the domain has a unique mapping to an element in the codomain. An epimorphism is a homomorphism that is onto, meaning every element in the codomain has at least one pre-image in the domain. An isomorphism is a homomorphism that is both one-to-one and onto, and also preserves the operations and relationships between elements.

3. What is the definition of a kernel in a homomorphism?

The kernel of a homomorphism is the set of elements in the domain that map to the identity element in the codomain. In other words, it is the set of elements that are mapped to the neutral element under the homomorphism.

4. How is the kernel related to the image in a homomorphism?

The kernel and image are complementary subgroups in a homomorphism. The kernel is a subgroup of the domain, while the image is a subgroup of the codomain. The kernel contains the elements that map to the identity in the codomain, while the image contains the elements that are mapped to by the homomorphism.

5. Can a homomorphism have a non-trivial kernel?

Yes, a homomorphism can have a non-trivial kernel, meaning the kernel is not just the identity element. This occurs when there are elements in the domain that map to the identity in the codomain, but there are also other elements that map to other non-identity elements in the codomain.