HONDA CIVIC 2010 IMA Phase out.

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello Guys,

I was wondering what will happen if the battery pack of my Honda civic hybrid dies (dies = malfunctions, stops working completely things like that) ?

Moreover I wanted to know if the IMA/PDU can be removed (not used) to thus convert the engine into the a typical gasoline engine ?
(Without HUGE mpg difference)

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello Guys,

I was wondering what will happen if the battery pack of my Honda civic hybrid dies (dies = malfunctions, stops working completely things like that) ?

Moreover I wanted to know if the IMA/PDU can be removed (not used) to thus convert the engine into the a typical gasoline engine ?
(Without HUGE mpg difference)

Thanks.
When my Prius battery pack failed last year, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree but the car continued to run normally. What would happen in your case just depends on how the manufacturer designed the car's control systems.

With respect to converting it to a non-hybrid state, anything's possible but the MPG would be affected. After all, why put in heavy batteries and generators needed to make it a hybrid if they don't significantly improve MPG?