Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybrid CIVIC 2010 without hybrid battery

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1
    Hello Guys and Girls,

I wanted to know if my HYBRID HONDA CIVIC 2010 would still start up and run if my hybrid battery pack dies ?

If it gets started and i am able to drive it, will it affect the car anyhow (apart from few MPG less) on a long term ?

Thanks in advance.
    N.R.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Does it have a separate starting battery? If so then I believe yes you will be able to drive it. How big a detriment to your fuel mileage will depend on how smart is the charge controller. If it tries to charge a failed battery BAD things could happen.

Your LiPo battery WILL die in 3 - 5 years and 300 - 500 equivalent full charge/discharge cycles. ALL LiPo and Pb-acid have roughly those limits due to internal corrosion 'aging'.

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your reply @Doug Huffman

5. Jan 11, 2015 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't think hybrid batteries are allowed to die -- it would damage them. I think if you leave your lights on, for example, you can run your starter battery dead, but the hybird battery is only for the drive system. Not completely sure...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook