(Hopefully)Very quick volume calculation question

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for calculating the volume of a cylinder with different radii at each end. The formula for the volume is given as V=\frac{\pi h}{3}(R^2+r^2+Rr), where h is the height of the cylinder and R and r are the two radii. The conversation also mentions the possibility of proving this formula using calculus.
venomxx
Iv been looking for a way to calculate the volume of a cyllender with one end radius "x" and the other end with a radius "y".

I know you can do it by considering both circles the base's of 2 cones that when taken away from one another should equal the volume of the cyllender I want. BUT i don't have the height of the cone.

All I have to work with is the radius of the top and bottom of the cyllender and the height of the cyllender...any suggestions? Iv been looking around for a formula or alternate method but i have only found symmetrical cyllender methods.

Sorry for my ignorance if this is a simple answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi venomxx! :smile:

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frustum
This gives the formula

[tex]V=\frac{\pi h}{3}(R^2+r^2+Rr)[/tex]

where h is the height of your truncated cone, and where R and r are the two radii.

Do you need to prove this formula too? In that case, it's easiest when you know some calculus...

Cheers for the quick reply micromass! That formula is giving me exactly what I needed! Ill give it a shot deriving it myself:)

What is volume and how is it calculated?

Volume is the measure of the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object. It is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the object.

What units are used to measure volume?

The most commonly used units for volume are cubic centimeters (cm^3), cubic meters (m^3), and liters (L).

How do you calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects?

The volume of irregularly shaped objects can be calculated by using water displacement method. Submerge the object in a known volume of water and measure the change in water level, which will be equal to the volume of the object.

What is the difference between volume and mass?

Volume is a measure of space occupied by an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. They are two different physical quantities and cannot be directly converted to each other.

Why is volume important in scientific calculations?

Volume is an important parameter in many scientific calculations, as it helps determine the amount of a substance or the space occupied by an object. It is also used to calculate density, which is a crucial factor in understanding the properties and behavior of different materials.