Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow rate calculation question

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    Hello all. I am new to this forum. I am an electrical engineer, and I am working on a system which requires me to calculate a flow rate. Once I know this, I can continue with the design. Since I am an electrical engineer, I have insufficient knowledge of fluid dynamics to know how to set up the necessary equation(s) to compute the needed information. That being stated, I will tell all that I can about the system variables, and hopefully if I have given enough info, I will get some assistance in setting up the equation.

I have a cubic (6-sided) liquid reservoir which will contain hydrochloric acid (30% ~ density 1149 kg/m^3).

The bottom side of this reservoir has a 1" (2.54cm) hose that is used to drain this tank.

The hose is connected to a valve with a sharp-edged opening (orifice coefficient,Co, I assume is 1 (?)) which measures 3/8" (0.9525cm) in diameter.

I need to calculate the time that it will take the tank to drain. For calculation purposes, say that the tank is 1m x 1m x 1m, and the tank is full (height of HCl = 1m).

I feel that the height must be a variable for integration (i.e. dV/dy)...but I also want to know the height of HCl in the tank at any given time (i.e. dV/dt). I have been looking online for the answers all day, but my head is starting to hurt from all of the information that I am finding, and I think that I am making this way too complicated for myself. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  4. Oct 29, 2011 #3
  5. Oct 31, 2011 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook