1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal force with a crate at a 27 degree angle

1. Sep 14, 2006 #1
    A 100 kg crate is pushed at constant speed up the frictionless 27° ramp shown in the figure. What horizontal force F is required?
    What force is exerted by the ramp on the crate?

I can't paste the figure up so I hope this question describes the scenario well enough.

What's giving me problems is how am I suppose to find F when I don't even know n? I figured I use the angle to help solve for others. I know Fg=mg which is (100)(9.8) right? Would that give me one side of the triangle?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2006 #2
    The problem says at a constant speed, therefore a=0. Also, there is no friction slowing you down. F=ma, a=0, so the net force is zero. You need to find the vertical and horizontal components of the applied force. So F(applied)*cos(27)=F(applied,horizontal), and F(applied)*sin(27)=F(applied, Vertical).

That should get you off to a good start, remember you don't know F(applied), so you'll have to solve for two variables (substitution in otherwords).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  4. Sep 15, 2006 #3
    I'm still confused. First of all did you post a figure cause it's not showing up. I understand that I need to use substitution to solve for one and then solve for the other but I still feel like I don't have enough information. This is what I have down:

Xcomponent
    ∑Fx= max
    mgsin27 = ma
    a=gsin27

Ycomponent
    ∑Fy= may
    N-mgcos27= 0
    N= mgcos27

Is this at all right?

5. Sep 15, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

In the y-sum you forgot to add F, so you have mgcos27 + Fsin27 = N.

6. Sep 15, 2006 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Is the applied force horizontal? or parallel to the ramp?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?