Horizontal Tension Force equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tension force and whether there is a formula for calculating the tension in a horizontal pull between two sides of an equal system. It is explained that the equation for tension force is similar to the equation for force due to gravity, and that the tension in a string is equal to the force applied at either end. The conversation also explores the role of mass and gravity in determining tension, and the concept of friction in maintaining equilibrium. Ultimately, it is concluded that if a string is acted upon by unequal forces at its ends, it will not remain stationary.
karen_lorr
TL;DR Summary
Horizontal Tension Force equation between two equal (pulling) forces
(not a homework question - I left education over 45 years ago)

Hi, this just out of interest as I have been googleing this and can't find the answer

I know the equation for tension force, for example a weight on a string, block on a ramp, etc.

But is there something similar for a horizontal pull (on a cable, string, etc) between two sides of an equal system. For example, a belt buckle – I know silly example or even a string between your outstretched arms.

Let’s say you (somehow) attached a piece of cotton to the petals of a rose. In the morning the rose would open. The petals would move apart. The cotton would have a tension (pull between the petals). Even if one petal was larger (more mass, more pulling power, etc) the tension on the cotton would be the same at both ends.

Is there a standard formula for this?

I hope this make sense.

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you hold a piece of string horizontally and pull at both ends, then the tension depends on how hard you pull.

I can't imagine rose petals could generate much pulling force, but then horticulture isn't my strong suit!

You’re probably right about the rose.

But let’s say each petal opens from the centre with a force of 123kn (very strong roses).

There are two petals each pulling with the same force.

The cotton is not massless (as infinite acceleration hurts my brain), so let’s say it has a weight which is so small it hardy affects the outcome.

The gravity on each petal is the same as the normal force, so is cancelled.

Is there a formula for this type of action?

karen_lorr said:
You’re probably right about the rose.

But let’s say each petal opens from the centre with a force of 123kn (very strong roses).

There are two petals each pulling with the same force.

The cotton is not massless (as infinite acceleration hurts my brain), so let’s say it has a weight which is so small it hardy affects the outcome.

Is there a formula for this type of action?
The tension in a rope or string is equal to the force applied at either end. That's where there is equilibrium.

karen_lorr said:
I know the equation for tension force, for example a weight on a string, block on a ramp, etc.
I guess the equation you know is ##F_g=mg##.

Tension is basically a force (##F##). The previous equation is a special case for a mass (##m##) where the force due to gravity (##F_g##) would cause an equivalent acceleration ##g##, if unopposed by another force.

But this equation is a special case of a more general equation:
$$\sum F = ma$$
Where ##\sum F## is the summation of all forces in one direction and ##a## is the acceleration of a mass ##m## in the same direction.

But it is possible to not have an acceleration, i.e. ##a=0##, therefore ##ma = 0## and thus ##\sum F = 0##.

That last equation means that there are at least 2 forces that are equal and opposite. For example:
$$F_1 + \left(-F_2\right) = 0$$
##F_2## has a negative sign to show that it goes in the opposite direction of ##F_1##. So this equation basically states that ##F1## and ##F_2## must have the same magnitude, the same numeric value. If each one of these forces are acting on opposite end of a string, the string will be under a tension of magnitude ##F_1## (or ##F_2##, since they have the same value).

If ##F_1## and ##F_2## are of different magnitudes, then the acceleration ##a## cannot be zero. Therefore the string would begin to move. The sign of the acceleration would dictate the direction of the acceleration. Note that if accelerations are not involved, the mass is irrelevant.
karen_lorr said:
Let’s say you (somehow) attached a piece of cotton to the petals of a rose. In the morning the rose would open. The petals would move apart. The cotton would have a tension (pull between the petals). Even if one petal was larger (more mass, more pulling power, etc) the tension on the cotton would be the same at both ends.

Is there a standard formula for this?

Since we're looking at the horizontal forces only, the previous equation applies where each petal pulls one against each other.
karen_lorr said:
The tension in the piece of cotton would be 123 kN (##=F_1 = F_2##).
karen_lorr said:
Mass is irrelevant in this case as the acceleration would be zero.
karen_lorr said:
The gravity is irrelevant here since it acts only in the vertical plane, which is perpendicular to the plane we are looking at in the present case.

But we can analyze this vertical plane also where ##F_g = ma## or ##mg = ma##. This would mean that the piece of cotton is under acceleration (##a=g##) and should slide down the petals. If it is not the case, then it is because there is another force involved, in this case, most likely friction ##F_f##. The equation is then:
$$F_g + \left(-F_f\right) = m(0)$$
Or:
$$ F_g = F_f$$
So the friction force is equal and opposite to the gravity and the acceleration is zero.

karen_lorr said:
Even if one petal was larger (more mass, more pulling power, etc) the tension on the cotton would be the same at both ends.

If the string is acted upon only by two unequal forces at its ends, it wouldn't remain stationary. By analogy, in a tug-of-war, the stronger side wins by causing the rope to move.

Were you expecting to find a formula for the tension on a string acted upon only by unequal forces at each end? A net force in one direction would act on each section of such a string. That net force wouldn't be called a "tension" since the word "tension" implies a balance of forces.

Likes suremarc

1. What is the formula for calculating horizontal tension force?

The formula for calculating horizontal tension force is F = μN, where F is the horizontal tension force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. What is the significance of the horizontal tension force equation?

The horizontal tension force equation is significant because it allows scientists to determine the amount of force needed to overcome friction and move an object horizontally.

3. How is the coefficient of friction determined in the horizontal tension force equation?

The coefficient of friction is determined by conducting experiments and measuring the force needed to move an object horizontally at a constant speed.

4. Can the horizontal tension force equation be used for all types of surfaces?

Yes, the horizontal tension force equation can be used for all types of surfaces as long as the coefficient of friction is known.

5. How does the horizontal tension force equation relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The horizontal tension force equation relates to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first law, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The horizontal tension force is the external force that overcomes friction and allows the object to move horizontally.