Horizontally mounted compression spring

In summary: What are you aiming for? In summary, the swinging component needs springs to control the varying forces.
Battisto
I am working on a swinging component. The component can swing with a varying amount of forces, which I need to control. I can not use an extension spring, because the widely varying amounts of force. I am hopeful that I will be able to use a pair of compression springs, yet I would need them to be mounted horizontally. I would mount two springs; one on each side. At rest the compression springs would have no force on them. I would need the pair of springs to compress approximately 2.5 inches each at 300 lbs of force. I would need them to compress 8 inches each at 3,200 lbs of force. There would be forces in between as well. I am having trouble understanding if this would be possible and functional, and being able to find springs that fit this criterion. I would like to find them stock as well, avoiding custom. I thought progressive rate springs might be benificial for such an application? I would mount a hydraulic rod behind the swing to accommodate the oscillation. Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Battisto said:
I am working on a swinging component. The component can swing with a varying amount of forces, which I need to control. I can not use an extension spring, because the widely varying amounts of force. I am hopeful that I will be able to use a pair of compression springs, yet I would need them to be mounted horizontally. I would mount two springs; one on each side. At rest the compression springs would have no force on them. I would need the pair of springs to compress approximately 2.5 inches each at 300 lbs of force. I would need them to compress 8 inches each at 3,200 lbs of force. There would be forces in between as well. I am having trouble understanding if this would be possible and functional, and being able to find springs that fit this criterion. I would like to find them stock as well, avoiding custom. I thought progressive rate springs might be benificial for such an application? I would mount a hydraulic rod behind the swing to accommodate the oscillation. Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to PF.

It is hard for me to understand the swinging component. Somethng like a car's suspension maybe? What is it that you need those springs for?

If you need springs there are many options. Google the net for a spring of your spec., the offer is very wide. Plus you can add two different springs (preferably on same shaft) to achieve needed elastic constant. You can play with both progressive rate and standard for different effects.

1. What is a horizontally mounted compression spring?

A horizontally mounted compression spring is a type of mechanical spring that is designed to compress or shorten when a force is applied to it along its length. It is typically mounted horizontally, meaning that the spring's axis is parallel to the ground.

2. What are the uses of horizontally mounted compression springs?

Horizontally mounted compression springs are commonly used in various mechanical applications such as automotive suspensions, industrial machinery, and consumer products. They are also used in precision instruments and tools to provide accurate measurements.

3. How do horizontally mounted compression springs work?

When a force is applied to a horizontally mounted compression spring, it compresses and stores potential energy. Once the force is removed, the spring recoils and releases the stored energy, returning to its original length. This process can repeat itself multiple times.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a horizontally mounted compression spring?

The selection of a horizontally mounted compression spring depends on several factors, including the required load capacity, desired deflection or travel distance, operating environment, and application requirements. It is important to choose a spring with the appropriate material, size, and design to ensure optimal performance.

5. How do I know if my horizontally mounted compression spring needs to be replaced?

Over time, horizontally mounted compression springs may lose their elasticity and become weak. Signs that your spring may need to be replaced include reduced load capacity, excessive deflection or travel, and visible damage or wear. Regular maintenance and inspections can help identify potential issues and prevent unexpected failure.