1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot air balloon - Archimedes Principle

1. Feb 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hot air balloon with V = 500 m^3 is floating in the air without moving. The air outside the balloon has a density of 1,20 kg/m^3, and the hot air inside the balloon has a density of 0,75 kg/m^3. Calculate the total mass of the hot air balloon.

2. Relevant equations

Archimedes Principle F0 = ρVg

3. The attempt at a solution

I googled the answer to this question, so I already know how to solve it:
    F0 = (1,20 -0,75) * 500 = 225 kg

What I don´t understand is why g wasn´t integrated into this answer? How come the answer isn´t (1,20-0,75)*500 * 9,82 =2210 kg?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The buoyant force is ρVg, but you made it equal with mass, which is wrong.

Fo has to be equal to the weight, that is, ρ(outside)Vg=ρ(inside)Vg+Mg where M is the mass of the balloon and cargo, without the air inside the balloon.
    You can divide the whole equation with g.

ehild

4. Feb 26, 2014 #3
    I do not think you described the problem as stated. Because as stated, the answer is simply ## m = \rho V##, where ##\rho## is the hot air density, by definition of density.

The answer that you think should be true is not a correct answer to a question about mass, simply because that answer gives some force.

5. Feb 26, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The total mass of the hot-air balloon was asked. It is not the mass of the air only, but includes both the balloon material and the cargo.

ehild

6. Feb 27, 2014 #5
    Then the answer is wrong. Just the air in the balloon is 375 kg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted