Hours per Week as Math Ph.D. Student

In summary: But yeah, if you want to get a prestigious academic title then you really need to invest in your career. In summary, it takes about an hour many hours per week to earn a Ph.D. in Mathematics.
ded8381
Hi, I asked a question about a week ago -- and didn't receive a response, so I'm trying a perhaps easier question. :)

About hour many hours per week should one expect to spend earning a Ph.D. in Mathematics?

Thanks,

David

Physics news on Phys.org
ded8381 said:
Hi, I asked a question about a week ago -- and didn't receive a response, so I'm trying a perhaps easier question. :)

About hour many hours per week should one expect to spend earning a Ph.D. in Mathematics?

Thanks,

David

All of them.

But seriously, it's a full-time+ job.

I don't know how accurate this is but a friend got an Math (applied but I think its all one program) PHD at NYU and he said he studied at least 60 hours every week the first two years.

Don't forget you have to grade exercises or give recitations, if you want to earn some money.

Add this to the studying load.

no more than 40

Thanks -- I'm figuring I have about 56 hours a week -- if I spend 16 hours for my TA duties, that leaves about 40 for classes and studying. I'm really just trying to count the cost before I jump in because I have wife and kids. Some weeks will probably require more; but that's made up in the fact that I'll have between terms and summers with much less to do.

David

Doing an astro PhD right now, and most profs I talk to say between 60-70 hours of research per week is ideal. I imagine math would be similar.

nicksauce said:
Doing an astro PhD right now, and most profs I talk to say between 60-70 hours of research per week is ideal. I imagine math would be similar.

I know I've said this before, but 70 hours research a week is crazy-- that means working for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. That's like 9am-7pm every day, without having any time for lunch or any kind of break. Like it said: crazy!

Research doesn't have to take up your entire life. If you try and be productive you can easily restrict yourself to working the same hours as a 9-5 job.

1. What is the average number of hours per week that a math Ph.D. student works?

The average number of hours per week that a math Ph.D. student works can vary depending on their specific program and research focus. However, on average, most math Ph.D. students spend anywhere from 40-60 hours per week on their studies and research.

2. How does the amount of hours per week change throughout the program?

The amount of hours per week that a math Ph.D. student works can change throughout the program. In the beginning, students may have more scheduled classes and coursework that takes up a significant amount of time. As they progress through the program, they may spend more time on independent research projects and writing their dissertation, which can require longer hours.

3. Is there a difference in the number of hours per week between different subfields of math?

Yes, there can be a difference in the number of hours per week between different subfields of math. For example, a student studying pure mathematics may spend more time on theoretical proofs and reading papers, while a student studying applied mathematics may spend more time on data analysis and computer programming.

4. How do Ph.D. students balance their hours per week with other commitments?

Balancing hours per week as a math Ph.D. student can be challenging, as students often have other commitments such as teaching or working on research projects. To manage their time effectively, Ph.D. students may create schedules, prioritize tasks, and communicate with their advisors and colleagues.

5. Do the number of hours per week vary between different stages of the program, such as coursework vs. research?

Yes, the number of hours per week can vary between different stages of the program. During coursework, students may have a more structured schedule and spend more time in class or completing assignments. In contrast, during the research stage, students may have more flexibility but also may need to put in longer hours to complete their independent projects.