1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How 2 find distance from non uniform velocity time graph where can't use triangle?

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1

inv

Hi. *Problem solved.

A trolley of mass 930 g is held on a horizontal surface by means of two springs,one spring on the left and right respectively.The variation with time t of the speed v of the trolley for the first 0.60s of its motion is shown in the fig(It's a v-t graph,max y=8.0cms^-1 ,min x=0.0s & 0.6s) below.

[​IMG]

Use the fig above to determine the distance moved during the first 0.60s of its motion.

The answer=0.031m +-.001m.I find using a triangle to find half of the distance,then multiply 2 to get the whole distance not satisfying.I used s=ut +at^2/2 also and still didn't get it.Any 1 pls tell of a way to get the ans?

*Edit

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2

inv

*Double post,from merge of 2 posts,sry.

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    What is the area under the curve?

5. Feb 22, 2007 #4
    What is the area under the curve?

6. Feb 22, 2007 #5
    Im sorry, but I dont understand what your talking about. Its not 'area', it represents something.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  7. Feb 22, 2007 #6
    Im sorry, but I dont understand what your talking about. Its not 'area', it represents something.

8. Feb 22, 2007 #7

inv

It's distance,which is represented under the area under the curve,how to find?

9. Feb 22, 2007 #8
    You approximate the area using rectangles.

If you know calculus then you can calculate the exact area in many cases by finding an antiderivative.

10. Feb 22, 2007 #9
    You approximate the area using rectangles.

If you know calculus then you can calculate the exact area in many cases by finding an antiderivative.

11. Feb 22, 2007 #10

inv

There's no equation given for the graph,how?

12. Feb 22, 2007 #11

inv

There's no equation given for the graph,how?

13. Feb 22, 2007 #12
    Use the geometry of the curve to estimate the area. Do you have a digital camera to snap a picture of the graph?

14. Feb 22, 2007 #13
    Use the geometry of the curve to estimate the area. Do you have a digital camera to snap a picture of the graph?

15. Feb 22, 2007 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A diagram would certinaly be nice!

Can you segment the area under the graph into nice geometric regions? By that I mean triangles and rectangles?

16. Feb 22, 2007 #15

inv

I've just added the graph pic on the first post,edited.If u 1 ,refer to that 1.

17. Feb 23, 2007 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This thread has been merged with another IDENTICAL question that the OP has cross-posted. So if it appears to make no sense at some spot, it isn't my fault.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?