Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How 2 find distance from non uniform velocity time graph where can't use triangle?

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1

inv

Hi. *Problem solved.

A trolley of mass 930 g is held on a horizontal surface by means of two springs,one spring on the left and right respectively.The variation with time t of the speed v of the trolley for the first 0.60s of its motion is shown in the fig(It's a v-t graph,max y=8.0cms^-1 ,min x=0.0s & 0.6s) below.

untitled.jpg

Use the fig above to determine the distance moved during the first 0.60s of its motion.

The answer=0.031m +-.001m.I find using a triangle to find half of the distance,then multiply 2 to get the whole distance not satisfying.I used s=ut +at^2/2 also and still didn't get it.Any 1 pls tell of a way to get the ans?

*Edit

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2

inv

*Double post,from merge of 2 posts,sry.

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    What is the area under the curve?

5. Feb 22, 2007 #4
    What is the area under the curve?

6. Feb 22, 2007 #5
    Im sorry, but I dont understand what your talking about. Its not 'area', it represents something.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  7. Feb 22, 2007 #6
    Im sorry, but I dont understand what your talking about. Its not 'area', it represents something.

8. Feb 22, 2007 #7

inv

It's distance,which is represented under the area under the curve,how to find?

9. Feb 22, 2007 #8
    You approximate the area using rectangles.

If you know calculus then you can calculate the exact area in many cases by finding an antiderivative.

10. Feb 22, 2007 #9
    You approximate the area using rectangles.

If you know calculus then you can calculate the exact area in many cases by finding an antiderivative.

11. Feb 22, 2007 #10

inv

There's no equation given for the graph,how?

12. Feb 22, 2007 #11

inv

There's no equation given for the graph,how?

13. Feb 22, 2007 #12
    Use the geometry of the curve to estimate the area. Do you have a digital camera to snap a picture of the graph?

14. Feb 22, 2007 #13
    Use the geometry of the curve to estimate the area. Do you have a digital camera to snap a picture of the graph?

15. Feb 22, 2007 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A diagram would certinaly be nice!

Can you segment the area under the graph into nice geometric regions? By that I mean triangles and rectangles?

16. Feb 22, 2007 #15

inv

I've just added the graph pic on the first post,edited.If u 1 ,refer to that 1.

17. Feb 23, 2007 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This thread has been merged with another IDENTICAL question that the OP has cross-posted. So if it appears to make no sense at some spot, it isn't my fault.

Zz.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook