• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How 2 find distance from non uniform velocity time graph where can't use triangle?

• Thread starter inv
  • Start date
inv
*Double post,from merge of 2 posts,sry.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

inv
Hi. *Problem solved.

A trolley of mass 930 g is held on a horizontal surface by means of two springs,one spring on the left and right respectively.The variation with time t of the speed v of the trolley for the first 0.60s of its motion is shown in the fig(It's a v-t graph,max y=8.0cms^-1 ,min x=0.0s & 0.6s) below.

untitled.jpg

Use the fig above to determine the distance moved during the first 0.60s of its motion.

The answer=0.031m +-.001m.I find using a triangle to find half of the distance,then multiply 2 to get the whole distance not satisfying.I used s=ut +at^2/2 also and still didn't get it.Any 1 pls tell of a way to get the ans?

*Edit

Last edited:
What is the area under the curve?

What is the area under the curve?

Im sorry, but I dont understand what your talking about. Its not 'area', it represents something.

Last edited:
Im sorry, but I dont understand what your talking about. Its not 'area', it represents something.

inv
It's distance,which is represented under the area under the curve,how to find?

You approximate the area using rectangles.

If you know calculus then you can calculate the exact area in many cases by finding an antiderivative.

If you know calculus then you can calculate the exact area in many cases by finding an antiderivative.

inv

There's no equation given for the graph,how?

inv

There's no equation given for the graph,how?

Use the geometry of the curve to estimate the area. Do you have a digital camera to snap a picture of the graph?

Use the geometry of the curve to estimate the area. Do you have a digital camera to snap a picture of the graph?

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A diagram would certinaly be nice!

Can you segment the area under the graph into nice geometric regions? By that I mean triangles and rectangles?

inv
I've just added the graph pic on the first post,edited.If u 1 ,refer to that 1.

Last edited:
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This thread has been merged with another IDENTICAL question that the OP has cross-posted. So if it appears to make no sense at some spot, it isn't my fault.

Zz.