1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Distance from the Origin Given Velocity Graph

1. Sep 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rocket-powered hockey puck move along a horizontal friction-less table. The figure (link posted below) shows the graphs of vx and vy, the x- and y- components of the puck's velocity. The puck starts at the origin. How far from the origin is the puck at 4 seconds?

Here is the picture of the two graphs: https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1384028/7/4-9.jpg

[moderator's edit: Here's an inserted copy of the image just in case the link evaporates some day]
    upload_2016-9-18_14-15-13.png
    2. Relevant equations
    area of a triangle: 1/2(b)(h)
    area of a square: (l)(w)
    sqrt(x2+y2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    It appears on the on the vx graph that the velocity increases by an increment of 8 cm every second. (It is confirmed to be at 40 cm at 5 seconds). So I thought the way to do this would be to find the area under both graphs from 0 to 4 seconds.
    On the vx graph, I found the area to be 1/2*4*32 = 64 cm. On the vy graph, I found the area to be 30*4 = 120 cm. Then I tried to use the formula for distance to solve and came out with:
    sqrt(642 + 1202) = 136 cm.

However, whenever I put this answer in, it says it is incorrect. I guess I'm not really the best at physics, so I'm wondering where it was I made the error? I appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2016 #2
    Strange as your answer seems to be correct at least from my judgement
    I suppose make sure your answer is rounded correctly and that if required your answer is inputted with the correct units
    Other than that I do not see an issue with your method
    Maybe significant figures or something?

4. Sep 18, 2016 #3
    Oh I see now that the site wants the answer to two significant figures. So that would be 1.4 meters then?

5. Sep 18, 2016 #4
    I believe so

6. Sep 18, 2016 #5
    It worked that time. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted