How Accurate is the Equation of Motion Derived from This Lagrangian?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Hypo86
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi!

I have the following problem with some old lecture notes I recently had a look on.

I have two different fermions (1 and 2) with masses m1 and m2
and the following Lagrangian (where the mass term for fermion 2 is dropped, because we are only interested in the dynamics of fermion 1) of the form:

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \bar{\Psi}_{1} \left( i {\not}{\partial} - {\not}{A} \left( 1 - \gamma_{5} \right) - m_{1} \right) \Psi_{1},[/tex]

where

[tex]A^{\mu} = \dfrac{G_{F}}{\sqrt{2}} \left[ \bar{\Psi}_{2} \gamma^{\mu} \left( 1 - \gamma_{5} \right) \Psi_{2} \right] =: (\varphi, \vec{A})[/tex]

If we compute the equation of motion from that (Euler-Lagrange), one finds:

[tex]\left( i \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t} - \varphi \right) \Psi_{1} =<br /> \left[ \vec{\alpha} \cdot \left( \dfrac{1}{i} \nabla - \vec{A} \right) + \beta m_{1} \right] \Psi_{1},[/tex]

where [itex]\beta = \gamma^{0}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{\alpha} = \beta \vec{\gamma}[/itex]

I think this is not correct, because there are two [itex](1 - \gamma_{5})[/itex] factors missing.
I find:

[tex]\left( i \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t} - \varphi ( 1 - \gamma_{5} ) \right) \Psi_{1} =<br /> \left[ \vec{\alpha} \cdot \left( \dfrac{1}{i} \nabla - \vec{A} ( 1 - \gamma_{5} \right) + \beta m_{1} \right] \Psi_{1}[/tex]

Did I miss anything? I would be glad if someone could have a short look on it.
Thanks a lot!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hypo86 said:
Hi!

I have the following problem with some old lecture notes I recently had a look on.

I have two different fermions (1 and 2) with masses m1 and m2
and the following Lagrangian (where the mass term for fermion 2 is dropped, because we are only interested in the dynamics of fermion 1) of the form:

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \bar{\Psi}_{1} \left( i {\not}{\partial} - {\not}{A} \left( 1 - \gamma_{5} \right) - m_{1} \right) \Psi_{1},[/tex]

where

[tex]A^{\mu} = \dfrac{G_{F}}{\sqrt{2}} \left[ \bar{\Psi}_{2} \gamma^{\mu} \left( 1 - \gamma_{5} \right) \Psi_{2} \right] =: (\varphi, \vec{A})[/tex]
Hi, welcome to PF!Can you double check what you wrote above? It does not make sense as stated. A is a gauge field, it should not be expressed in terms of the lagrangian of the second fermion. It looks like what you wrote for A^mu should be a term in the lagrangian, not A^mu