How and where to land up an internship

• Thread starter crixus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the speaker shares that they are a junior undergraduate studying electrical engineering and seeking advice on where to apply for a summer 2012 internship. They question whether industry exposure or university research internships are more suitable for their stage. The person responding suggests following a similar path to chemical engineering, gaining internships in industry and showcasing a stable track record to recruiters for future job opportunities.
crixus
I am a junior undergraduate pursuing electrical engineering and needed some help as to where should i apply for summer 2012 and whether industry exposure is important or university research intern is suitable for me at this stage..

I am based in India :)

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't speak to your particular circumstances, but my youngest nephew followed my path to chemical engineering. He managed to land internships at a local paper mill three summers in a row and had a good job waiting for him (also in industry) before he even graduated. If you want a good job in an industry, it is nice to be able to show the recruiters a stable track-record in industry.

1. How do I find internships in my field?

There are several ways to find internships in your field. You can check job search websites, such as Indeed or LinkedIn, for postings. You can also reach out to your school's career center, attend job fairs, or network with professionals in your field.

2. When should I start looking for internships?

It is recommended to start looking for internships at least 6 months before you plan to start. This will give you enough time to research and apply for different opportunities, and increase your chances of landing an internship.

3. How do I make my internship application stand out?

To make your internship application stand out, you should tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific internship you are applying for. Highlight your relevant skills and experiences, and include any relevant projects or coursework. Additionally, you can reach out to the employer or network with employees to learn more about the company and show your interest.

4. Should I only apply for internships in big companies?

No, you should not limit yourself to only applying for internships in big companies. Internships in smaller companies or startups can also be valuable experiences and provide unique learning opportunities. It is important to research the company and the internship role to determine if it aligns with your career goals.

5. How do I prepare for an internship interview?

To prepare for an internship interview, you should research the company, review the job description, and prepare answers to common interview questions. Additionally, you should practice your communication and interpersonal skills, and dress professionally for the interview.