How are British degrees viewed by American Universities?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying from a British undergraduate to an American graduate program. It is mentioned that the recognition of a British degree by an American university depends on the size and prestige of the university. The value of a 1st class degree in comparison to a GPA of 4.0 is also questioned, as well as any advantages or disadvantages for British and American applicants. The possibility of a year abroad or a postgrad masters in a prestigious British university being beneficial is also brought up. The importance of research and internship experience in the US application process is emphasized, as well as the need to thoroughly research and choose a suitable department for a higher chance of acceptance. It is also suggested that an applicant can later change to
icma
This is about applying from a British undergraduate to an American graduate.
How is a British degree viewed by an American university?
Is a British applicant with a 1st Class Degree viewed just as favorably as an American candidate with GPA 4.0?
Is there anything that goes in favor of the average British applicant compared to the average American candidate? (or vice versa)
Would a year abroad, during undergrad, in an American university go in favor of a British application?
Would a postgrad masters in a prestigious British uni go in favor of a British candidate, even if not required?

I may add more.

sorry, I have a lot of questions...

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
icma said:
This is about applying from a British undergraduate to an American graduate.
How is a British degree viewed by an American university?
Is a British applicant with a 1st Class Degree viewed just as favorably as an American candidate with GPA 4.0?
Is there anything that goes in favor of the average British applicant compared to the average American candidate? (or vice versa)
Would a year abroad, during undergrad, in an American university go in favor of a British application?
Would a postgrad masters in a prestigious British uni go in favor of a British candidate, even if not required?

I may add more.

sorry, I have a lot of questions...

Thanks for reading.

What subject is this for?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
What subject is this for?

BiP

Physics / Theoretical Physics, don't know any specifics yet,

Last edited:
icma said:
Physics / Theoretical Physics, don't know any specifics yet,

It all depends on whether they know your university. The larger your university is (and the more prestigious it is), the likelier it is to be known. Similarly, the larger the target university is (and the more prestigious it is), the likelier it is to at least recognize your university and put it into context. Usually, British universities are well known by American universities and vice versa, because both are English-speaking countries. I am not familiar with "1st class degree" however. I am aware of UK's secondary school system, and their GCSE and A-levels, but not so much with their undergraduate programs.

Also, I would not go into a MS program just for the sake of increasing chances into US PhD programs because US PhD programs by themselves include the coursework of the MS program (and are thus longer than PhD programs elsewhere). You don't need a MS to apply to US PhD, you only need a BS.

Do you have research experience? Research experience, as well as internship experience, is highly valued in the US. It is often the tiebreaker in many applications.

And a final note, make sure to research the programs you want to enter very thoroughly. A big factor in choosing who to accept is the match between the applicant and the department, and if you could increase your chances by choosing a department you are more suited to (though don't necessarily want to pursue that field), you should still choose that department and then later you can change to something you are deeply passionate about. The key is to first get accepted, then you have a lot of leeway with your options.

For example, say your undergrad major was in EE and you did some research in VLSI and micrcontroller based instrumentation. Then later you decide you want to be a physicist. You can apply to the EE department, get accepted, take courses in Physics, get known to the professors, and later petition the Physics department for transferring there. Most US universities do allow this. This is better than just applying for the PhD in physics for which you at the time of application might not be the best choice... it's a gamble though so it must be done with caution.

BiP

Bipolarity said:
It all depends on whether they know your university. The larger your university is (and the more prestigious it is), the likelier it is to be known. Similarly, the larger the target university is (and the more prestigious it is), the likelier it is to at least recognize your university and put it into context. Usually, British universities are well known by American universities and vice versa, because both are English-speaking countries. I am not familiar with "1st class degree" however. I am aware of UK's secondary school system, and their GCSE and A-levels, but not so much with their undergraduate programs.

Also, I would not go into a MS program just for the sake of increasing chances into US PhD programs because US PhD programs by themselves include the coursework of the MS program (and are thus longer than PhD programs elsewhere). You don't need a MS to apply to US PhD, you only need a BS.

Do you have research experience? Research experience, as well as internship experience, is highly valued in the US. It is often the tiebreaker in many applications.

And a final note, make sure to research the programs you want to enter very thoroughly. A big factor in choosing who to accept is the match between the applicant and the department, and if you could increase your chances by choosing a department you are more suited to (though don't necessarily want to pursue that field), you should still choose that department and then later you can change to something you are deeply passionate about. The key is to first get accepted, then you have a lot of leeway with your options.

For example, say your undergrad major was in EE and you did some research in VLSI and micrcontroller based instrumentation. Then later you decide you want to be a physicist. You can apply to the EE department, get accepted, take courses in Physics, get known to the professors, and later petition the Physics department for transferring there. Most US universities do allow this. This is better than just applying for the PhD in physics for which you at the time of application might not be the best choice... it's a gamble though so it must be done with caution.

BiP

That's noted what you've said, especially about the internships (which don't seem emphasized so much here in the u.k.)Thanks,

So d'you have any idea how the likes of Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews Universities are viewed in America by the likes of say, GeorgiaTech, Rochester, Washington, California Berkeley, M.I.T, Harvard?

icma said:
That's noted what you've said, especially about the internships (which don't seem emphasized so much here in the u.k.)Thanks,

So d'you have any idea how the likes of Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews Universities are viewed in America by the likes of say, GeorgiaTech, Rochester, Washington, California Berkeley, M.I.T, Harvard?

I don't know, I would just apply. Comparing universities across national borders is not feasible, IMO.

When applying, the key is to spread out your universities in terms of their selectiveness.

BiP

1. How do American universities view British degrees in terms of recognition and credibility?

American universities generally view British degrees as reputable and credible. The higher education systems in both countries have a strong history and are highly regarded internationally. British degrees are often seen as equivalent to American degrees and are widely recognized by employers.

2. Do American universities accept British degrees for graduate programs?

Most American universities do accept British degrees for graduate programs, but they may have specific requirements or additional documents that need to be submitted. It is best to check with the specific university and program for their admissions requirements.

3. Are there any differences in the grading systems between British and American universities?

Yes, there are some differences in the grading systems between British and American universities. British universities often use a percentage scale, while American universities use a letter grade system. However, both systems have ways to convert grades to a common scale for comparison.

4. Are there any specific British degrees that are more highly valued by American universities?

There is no specific British degree that is more highly valued by American universities. The value of a degree is based on the reputation and ranking of the university, as well as the specific program of study. It is important to research and choose a reputable university and program that aligns with your academic and career goals.

5. Can I transfer credits from a British university to an American university?

In most cases, credits from a British university can be transferred to an American university. However, this is ultimately up to the discretion of the American university and may depend on the specific courses and grades. It is best to check with the American university for their transfer credit policies.