Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How are neutrinos distributed in the universe?

1. Jun 30, 2016 #1
    @mfb mentioned in a thread about dark matter how neutrinos don't conglomerate in galaxies and it got me wondering where they are. Considering that they move at nearly the speed of light, I understand why they couldn't be captured by galaxies, but what about large scale structures? Do neutrinos pool in dense pockets of the universe, or are they more or less uniform? Google doesn't provide me with any links.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Unless you are close to a source (e. g. in a planetary system), the distribution of neutrinos from nuclear reactions is very uniform. The neutrinos are just too fast to be affected by gravity in any relevant way.
    Primordial neutrinos might get slower today, but that depends on their unknown masses.

4. Jun 30, 2016 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neutrinos are too 'hot' to clump by any known mechanism. A black hole might work, but, black holes have an annoying propensity to deconstruct things they capture. Neutrinos are strongly antisocial, they pass through other matter with great alacrity making it exceedingly difficult to slow them down.

5. Jun 30, 2016 #4

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

The distribution is highly uniform still, as the others above have mentioned. There are difficulties detecting the cosmic neutrino background directly, however, as the temperature of the neutrinos is currently about 1.95K. The Wikipedia article on the subject may be informative:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_neutrino_background

6. Jun 30, 2016 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As mfb has stated, relic neutrinos might cluster gravitationally depending on their masses. See for example: http://inspirehep.net/record/657114

7. Jun 30, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

PTOLEMY is a proposed experiment to detect the cosmic neutrino background, together with a highly accurate mass measurement. Clustering is also mentioned there.

8. Jun 30, 2016 #7

fresh_42

How can they distinguish between relic, sun made and man made neutrinos? I guess our nuclear power plants also create a lot of them. (Sorry if this question is stupid or explained in the article.)

9. Jun 30, 2016 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They only mention clustering in passing and cite the study I linked to, which is focused on gravitational clustering.

10. Jun 30, 2016 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All of these have very different energy ranges and/or concentration depending on the placement of your detector.

11. Jul 1, 2016 #10

mfb

2016 Award

And type. Fission-related neutrinos are antineutrinos which don't induce tritium decay. All other sources of man-made neutrinos are irrelevant unless you build your detector deliberately in a neutrino beam (like OPERA for example) - but those have GeV energies, compared to the meV energies of cosmic background neutrinos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted