How are physics formulas derived

In summary, physicists use both empirical observation and logical theory to discover physical formulas. There are some formulas that can only be found through experiments, but most are discovered through empirical observation and theory.
shreder
i was having this argument with a friend that said that physics formulas are found by performing experiments and in his words "changing the variables and watching how the result changes"
i found this ridiculous but i want a professional opinion (because i know that some formulas are in fact found by experiments like the first law of thermodynamics)

so how do physicists find formulas (like E=hf, F=ma or the schrodinger equation)
and are there formulas that can only be found by experiments

Physics news on Phys.org
shreder said:
so how do physicists find formulas (like E=hf, F=ma or the schrodinger equation)

It's some of both. A very common pattern is to discover a purely empirical formula, something that fits with observations, and then with that hint come up with some first principles from which we can derive some more general formula. Some examples:
- Kepler's laws of planetary motion, followed by Newton's discovery of universal gravitation.
- Bohr's completely empirical model of the hydrogen atom, followed by Schrodinger's discovery of his wave equation, followed by the modern discovery that Schrodinger's equation can be derived from some fairly basic axioms.

However, it's important to understand that the more complete and mathematically derived formulas don't actually tell us anything more about WHY the world is the way it is than the original experiments and observations. They just allow us to make better predictions from fewer ad hoc assumptions. That's aesthetically satisfying and often of great practical value, but we're still choosing the math to describe what we observe to be true and rejecting those theoretical frameworks that don't match how the world behaves.

Not to mention Galileo, who combined keen observations with mathematics, in his study of falling bodies and the motions of pendulums, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

shreder said:
i was having this argument with a friend that said that physics formulas are found by performing experiments and in his words "changing the variables and watching how the result changes"
i found this ridiculous but i want a professional opinion (because i know that some formulas are in fact found by experiments like the first law of thermodynamics)

What your friend describes is called empiricism, definitely an important element of scientific investigation. But it is not the only way to find things out. For instance, you can find that atmospheric pressure drops exponentially with altitude above see level by experimentally measuring the atmospheric pressure at different locations up a mountain slope - empirical observation. But you could also assume that air follows the ideal gas law, solve the hydrostatic equilibrium equation making use on Newton's laws along the way and voila you get to the same conclusion. Many important scientific theories were originally proposed by use of logic and theory alone and only later were experimentally confirmed.

Likes 1 person
As a professional physicist who has also taught - I think that "derivations" start from "known laws", and apply logic and mathematics to derive the formula of interest.

In the case of experimental results you have a mass of data - but prior to the experiment you also had a "theoretical" basis for conducting the experiment. So if I am using electron diffraction to search for phonons in a crystal that has been struck by a laser impulse ... I have a lot of theoretical knowledge already at hand; I will apply that to interpret the experimental results. There will still be some graphing and statistical fitting, but the information being studied will also have some type of expected structure.

I think that "most" physical theories are based on earlier findings of "experimental facts" which could be generalized into "Laws of Nature" - like Boyle's law, or Kepler's laws. It is only after you have a set of accumulated knowledge that the "Great Thinker" can reorganize the material and make it appear that it all come out of thin air and logic.

In addition to the other good replies, I'd briefly describe the process (the scientific method) as an interaction between previous knowledge, theory, experiments, observations and - guesswork!

A clip where Feynman briefly describes the process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL6-x0modwY

1. How do scientists come up with physics formulas?

Scientists come up with physics formulas by making observations and conducting experiments to gather data. They then use this data to create mathematical equations that accurately describe and predict the behavior of physical systems.

2. Are physics formulas derived from other formulas?

Yes, physics formulas are often derived from other formulas. This is because many physical phenomena can be described using the same basic principles and laws, so scientists can build upon existing formulas to create more complex equations.

3. Can physics formulas be derived using only theoretical methods?

Yes, some physics formulas can be derived using only theoretical methods. However, experimental data is often needed to validate and refine these theoretical models.

4. How are complex physics formulas simplified?

Complex physics formulas are often simplified by using mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation and calculus. Scientists also use approximations and assumptions to make the formulas more manageable without significantly sacrificing accuracy.

5. Do all physics formulas have a real-world application?

Not all physics formulas have a real-world application, but they are still valuable tools for understanding and describing natural phenomena. Some formulas may have a theoretical or conceptual purpose, while others may be used in practical applications such as engineering or technology.