How are the mercury atoms in a fluorescent lamp ionised?

In summary, fluorescent lamps have an electrode at both ends and are filled with an unreactive, low-pressure gas such as mercury. When the current passes through, the electrons are accelerated and they collide with the mercury atoms and causes them to be ionised. Different levels of energy cause different wavelengths of light to be emitted.
FastCar
TL;DR Summary
I understand when the current flows through the lamp, the electrons collide with the mercury atom and causes them to be ionised. But how does this work? In terms of the energy transfer between energy levels?
I think I vaguely understand how it works but not completely. So far, I understand that fluorescent lamps have an electrode at both ends and are filled with an unreactive, low-pressure gas such as mercury. When the current passes through, the electrons are accelerated and they collide with the mercury atoms and causes them to be ionised. (But how are they ionised here?) I also understand that when the electron collides with the mercury atom, it can knock an electron out and thus causing it to be ionised. If the electron came from a lower energy level, an electron falls from a higher level to fill this gap causing the emission of a photon. However, when does the electron move to a higher energy level? How will the photon be emitted here?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I interpret the question correctly, the basic information is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionization#Production_of_ions said:
Negatively charged ions are produced when a free electron collides with an atom and is subsequently trapped inside the electric potential barrier, releasing any excess energy. The process is known as electron capture ionization.

Positively charged ions are produced by transferring an amount of energy to a bound electron in a collision with charged particles (e.g. ions, electrons or positrons) or with photons. The threshold amount of the required energy is known as ionization potential. The study of such collisions is of fundamental importance with regard to the few-body problem (see article on few-body systems), which is one of the major unsolved problems in physics. Kinematically complete experiments,[2] i.e. experiments in which the complete momentum vector of all collision fragments (the scattered projectile, the recoiling target-ion, and the ejected electron) are determined, have contributed to major advances in the theoretical understanding of the few-body problem in recent years.

Adiabatic ionization is a form of ionization in which an electron is removed from or added to an atom or molecule in its lowest energy state to form an ion in its lowest energy state.[3]

The Townsend discharge is a good example of the creation of positive ions and free electrons due to ion impact. It is a cascade reaction involving electrons in a region with a sufficiently high electric field in a gaseous medium that can be ionized, such as air. Following an original ionization event, due to such as ionizing radiation, the positive ion drifts towards the cathode, while the free electron drifts towards the anode of the device. If the electric field is strong enough, the free electron gains sufficient energy to liberate a further electron when it next collides with another molecule. The two free electrons then travel towards the anode and gain sufficient energy from the electric field to cause impact ionization when the next collisions occur; and so on. This is effectively a chain reaction of electron generation, and is dependent on the free electrons gaining sufficient energy between collisions to sustain the avalanche.[4]

Likes FastCar
anorlunda said:
If I interpret the question correctly, the basic information is here:
Thanks!

Likes berkeman

1. How do mercury atoms become ionised in a fluorescent lamp?

Mercury atoms in a fluorescent lamp become ionised through a process called "impact ionisation." This occurs when high-energy electrons collide with the mercury atoms, knocking off one or more electrons and creating positively charged ions.

2. What is the purpose of ionising mercury atoms in a fluorescent lamp?

The ionisation of mercury atoms in a fluorescent lamp is essential for the production of light. When the electrons collide with the mercury atoms, they release energy in the form of ultraviolet (UV) light. This UV light is then absorbed by a phosphor coating on the inside of the lamp, which converts it into visible light.

3. How are the electrons accelerated to ionise the mercury atoms?

The electrons in a fluorescent lamp are accelerated through a voltage difference between two electrodes at each end of the lamp. This creates an electric field that accelerates the electrons towards the mercury atoms, increasing their energy and causing them to ionise the atoms upon impact.

4. What factors can affect the ionisation of mercury atoms in a fluorescent lamp?

The ionisation of mercury atoms in a fluorescent lamp can be affected by several factors, including the voltage and current applied to the lamp, the distance between the electrodes, and the gas pressure inside the lamp. These factors can alter the number of collisions between electrons and mercury atoms, thus affecting the amount of light produced.

5. Can the ionisation of mercury atoms be controlled in a fluorescent lamp?

Yes, the ionisation of mercury atoms in a fluorescent lamp can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and current applied to the lamp. By changing these parameters, the number of ionisations can be increased or decreased, resulting in a brighter or dimmer light output from the lamp.