How big and how old is the Universe?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wwoollyyhheeaa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 5K views
GeorgeDishman said:
I did a search of one of the forums a few weeks ago and found an old post (but I can't find it now of course) that gave the radius of the 3-sphere as:

##R = c / (H_0 sqrt(Ω_K))##

Plugging in the upper limit for ##Ω_K## from the Plank 2015 results then gives a minimum total volume. However, I've seen other sites that use that same argument but get very different numerical values from what I worked out.
You should get the minimum radius of the curvature approx R=205 Gly. Is that what you have?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
You should get the minimum radius of the curvature approx R=205 Gly. Is that what you have?
Yes, for a Hubble Length of 14.4 Gly from Wikipedia: ##R = 14.4 / \sqrt(0.005) = 203 Gly## for the radius, which I think means ##2 \pi R = 1280 Gly## for the circumference (proper distance to return to your starting point) and ##2 \pi ^2 R^3 = 1.67*10^6 Gly^3## total volume. The Planck value is 95% confidence (from memory) so that would be 97.5% confidence minimum limits (50% chance of curvature < 0) assuming a 3-sphere rather than some other topology.

I found the other similar calculation I saw recently by Ethan Siegel in a blog (obviously not an authoritative source) but that seems to be a factor of 10 larger:

"If the Universe does curve back and close on itself, its radius of curvature is at least 150 times as large as the part that’s observable to us! Meaning that — even without speculative physics like cosmic inflation — we know that the entire Universe extends for at least 14 trillion light years in diameter, including the part that’s unobservable to us today."

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2012/07/18/how-big-is-the-entire-universe/
 
Last edited:
Bandersnatch said:
In the meantime, you could use these graphs:
Thanks, I recognise those from the Lineweaver paper. The example I gave is outside our cosmological event horizon so the light will never reach us.
 
I do not think we have any evidence of what an observer somewhere else in the Universe would see. You must be applying the Cosmological Principal, which is an assumption, not a fact.
 
Bill McKeeman said:
I do not think we have any evidence of what an observer somewhere else in the Universe would see.

Sure we do; everything we can see is evidence about what observers elsewhere in the universe would see. It's not perfect evidence, but it's not no evidence either.
 
Bill McKeeman said:
I do not think we have any evidence of what an observer somewhere else in the Universe would see. You must be applying the Cosmological Principal, which is an assumption, not a fact.
I'd say it's a reasonable assumption though, given that all of the Universe which we actually do see, is in fact isotropic and homogeneous at the large scale