How big and how old is the Universe?

• I
  • Thread starter wwoollyyhheeaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: Hubble parameter. You get units when you insert the values for Hubble's constant and distance to the object whose recession velocity you are calculating. In summary, the visible universe did not begin as a single dot and inflate, contrary to popular belief. The current size of the universe, measured from standard candles and red shifts, would not give us its present size and speed of regression. The age of the universe is not the same as the number of light years of its size. Additionally, the expansion of the universe is not the only factor to take into account when calculating the age of the universe. There are other proposed physics beyond the current standard model
wwoollyyhheeaa
If the visible universe began as a single dot and inflated in a very short time then its size as measured from standard candles and red shifts would presumably give us its present size and speed of regression. But its age wouldn't be the same number of years as the number of light years of its size, would it? If it's 13.7 billion light years across that's partly due to inflation. not only expansion. I'm told that if we project the size versus time graph back to a dot at the origin we get the wrong answer for the age of the universe because the expansion isn't the only factor to take account of, is it? Can someone please explain/deny/confirm this.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
wwoollyyhheeaa said:
If the visible universe began as a single dot
It did not. This is pop-sci nonsense.
If it's 13.7 billion light years across that's partly due to inflation.
It is not. This is a misconception on your part. The AGE is 13.7 billion years but it has been expanding and the O.U. is now about 98 Billion LY in diameter.

wwoollyyhheeaa said:
I'm told that if we project the size versus time graph back to a dot at the origin we get the wrong answer for the age of the universe because the expansion isn't the only factor to take account of, is it? Can someone please explain/deny/confirm this.
It is possible to project backward in time to when our mathematical models say the universe was a dot. The models do do this make use of measurements of the matter/energy density of our universe combined with the current expansion rate, and extrapolate backwards in time. The expansion over time is what we need to make use of to find this "dot", but that expansion over time can't be directly observed for the entire history of our universe, and must be inferred from other measurements.

Extrapolating backwards all the way to the dot (formal term: singularity) isn't a valid thing to do, though: the singularity is mathematical nonsense, and can't describe reality. Instead, there had to be some physics beyond the current standard model that describes whatever event happened at around the time our (incomplete) models say there was a singularity. There are a number of proposals for this, e.g. inflation, a bounce in loop quantum cosmology, the ekpyrotic model, as well as a number of even more elaborate models.

Likes stoomart
wwoollyyhheeaa said:
I'm told that if we project the size versus time graph back to a dot at the origin we get the wrong answer for the age of the universe because the expansion isn't the only factor to take account of, is it?
Have you by any chance heard this in a first lecture of an intro cosmology course, or in an intro astronomy course? Because it sounds like the first thing that is done after showing the Hubble law.

One begins with describing the Hubble law V=Hd, treats the current values of all velocities as if they were constant in time - i.e. as if the Hubble parameter was changing like 1/a (where a is the scale factor), and what is noticed is that when extrapolating backwards the time for all distances in the universe to get to 0 size equals 14.4 billion years*.

In other words, a coasting cosmology in an empty universe is described, where the only thing that matters is the initial expansion impulse.

Then a note is made that the assumption used in this calculation - that of the velocities being constant in time - is incorrect, since the universe is filled with matter and radiation whose mutual gravitational attraction slows down the initial expansion impulse, hence the value of any recessional velocity must have been larger in the past than is measured today. This translates to the value of the Hubble parameter falling faster than 1/a.
Additionally, the universe contains dark energy, which in turn acts to push everything apart, which provides another modification to the way the H changes.

So the final note should be that the simplest extrapolation one can make cannot be correct, and furthermore, the fact that you do get from it the age of the universe that is quite close to the actual value obtained from a detailed model - is (literally) a cosmic coincidence.

*how? - Hubble law states ##V=H_0 d##, and ##V=d/t##, so ##d/t=H_0 d##, and ##t=1/H_0##. Where ##H_0## is the current value of the Hubble parameter. This is called the Hubble time.

Last edited:
Bandersnatch said:
the value of Hubble parameter measured today must have been larger in the past.
Can I be a grammatical nitpicker and suggest "the value of Hubble parameter must have been larger in the past than is measured today.", sorry.

GeorgeDishman said:
Can I be a grammatical nitpicker and suggest "the value of Hubble parameter must have been larger in the past than is measured today.", sorry.
Heh, yeah. Looking at it again, it doesn't make much sense. And here I thought I had a reasonably good grasp of the language ;) . Cheers.

edit: aand I've found some more substantial errors in there as a result of reading it again. o:) Now hopefully all corrected.

Last edited:
I see. Thanks. Just one more question if I may. If the universe is 98 BLY across, where are we in relation to the edges? And if we take the ratio distance/time we should get speed. But the ratio is 98/13.7 = 7.15 with no units. Why don't we get units?

wwoollyyhheeaa said:
I see. Thanks. Just one more question if I may. If the universe is 98 BLY across, where are we in relation to the edges? And if we take the ratio distance/time we should get speed. But the ratio is 98/13.7 = 7.15 with no units. Why don't we get units?
The universe is NOT 98 BLY across, it is of indeterminate size but the consensus is that it is a huge number of orders of magnitude larger that the OBSERVABLE universe, which IS 98 BLY across and is centered exactly at the bridge of your nose. And Mine.

Likes stoomart
wwoollyyhheeaa said:
The 45-ish Gly is the radius (and 98-ish is the diameter) of the observable universe in terms of proper distance - it's where the farthest objects that we can see (the CMBR) are now (as opposed to where they were when they emitted the radiation we see). It is always centred on the observer, and is the same for any observer - i.e., no matter where you are in the universe, you see the observable universe as extending to 45 Gly in every direction.
This has nothing to do with the size of the universe as a whole, of which we know precious little - it could be infinite or finite but curved upon itself, but actual physical 'edges' are not considered a possibility.

You won't get any meaningful speed from such calculations as you've presented since the maths is more complicated (although in this particular case these are of course units of speed: distance/time, i.e. billions of light-years/billions of years, => light-year/year => c)

Bandersnatch said:
The 45-ish Gly is the radius (and 98-ish is the diameter) of the observable universe in terms of proper distance - it's where the farthest objects that we can see (the CMBR) are now (as opposed to where they were when they emitted the radiation we see). It is always centred on the observer, and is the same for any observer - i.e., no matter where you are in the universe, you see the observable universe as extending to 45 Gly in every direction.
This has nothing to do with the size of the universe as a whole, of which we know precious little - it could be infinite or finite but curved upon itself, but actual physical 'edges' are not considered a possibility.

You won't get any meaningful speed from such calculations as you've presented since the maths is more complicated (although in this particular case these are of course units of speed: distance/time, i.e. billions of light-years/billions of years, => light-year/year => c)
Just to clarify for the OP, it is NOT "the same for any observer" it is DIFFERENT for every observer but it is the same SIZE for every observer.

It should also pedantically be qualified to say it is the same size for every observer who measures the same age for the universe.

Likes phinds
Yes, every comoving observer.

Bandersnatch said:
Yes, every comoving observer.
Not quite. @GeorgeDishman has it right. Think about it.

[I'm assuming the normal definition of comoving, i.e. comoving wrt the CMB, meaning no moving wrt the CMB, which is not a requirement of George's statement]

phinds said:
Not quite. @GeorgeDishman has it right. Think about it.
Thinking might be hard in my present sodden state, but bear with me - every comoving observer measures the same age of the universe, so where's the issue?

Bandersnatch said:
Thinking might be hard in my present sodden state, but bear with me - every comoving observer measures the same age of the universe, so where's the issue?
If you and I are NOT comoving but measure the universe as the same age then we are moving at the same speed wrt the CMB so we are not comoving but we do have the same size OU.

That is, you covered a single case, he covered all cases.

Bandersnatch said:
every comoving observer measures the same age of the universe, so where's the issue
What about an alien astronomer in a comoving galaxy 20 billion light years away measuring the size and age 10 billion years ago?

:rolleyes: oh you nitpicky bastards

You're both right, of course. One needs to take pains to keep the wording precise.

Likes GeorgeDishman
Bandersnatch said:
:rolleyes: oh you nitpicky bastards
Ah, high praise indeed for us nitpicky bastards.:oldlaugh:

Any message an alien cosmologist sent us 10 billion years ago will be 10 billion years out of date and suggest a ridiculously [from our POV] small universe.

GeorgeDishman said:
20 billion light years away measuring the size and age 10 billion years ago?
Chronos said:
Any message an alien cosmologist sent us 10 billion years ago will be 10 billion years out of date
It will be a lot more out-of-date than that by the time it gets here (he said, being nitpicky again).

Likes phinds
phinds said:
It did not. This is pop-sci nonsense.
It is not. This is a misconception on your part. The AGE is 13.7 billion years but it has been expanding and the O.U. is now about 98 Billion LY in diameter.

13.8 billion years since the big bang. But we don't know that the big bang was really the beginning of the universe. Many proposals for quantum gravity imply the universe existed before the big bag So the universe is of unknown age and of unknown size. Its at least 13.8 bio years old and at least 251 times the size of the observable universe but could be way bigger than that, possible infinitely large and infinitely old. Nobody knows the age of the universe or its size, we can just put minimums on both.
https://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1101/1101.5476v1.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
windy miller said:
13.8 billion years since the big bang. But we don't know that the big bang was really the beginning of the universe.
Agreed, but it IS the age of the temporal part of the universe that we are likely to ever be able to know anything about.

Many proposals for quantum gravity imply the universe existed before the big bag So the universe is of unknown age and of unknown size. Its at least 13.8 bio years old and at least 251 times the size of the observable universe ...
I think you likely mean 10E251, not 251, yes?

For an observer at a comoving distance of 20 billion light years, that observers universe would be appear to be age 3.79 Gy [IOW 10 billion years younger than its present age of 13.79 Gy]. Bear in mind that light travel time can never exceed the age of the universe, for obvious reasons. So, if you see a galaxy at a commoving distance of 20 billion light years, which we do all the time, [redshift = 1.72], it has a look back time of just a hair over 10 billion years. That is how long that light [message] needed to reach you. Math courtesy of Jorrie's cosmo calculator - re: http://www.einsteins-theory-of-relativity-4engineers.com/cosmocalc_2013.htm

Last edited:
My error this time, my statement was ambiguous. For a redshift of 1.72, the lookback time is ~10 billion years but the proper distance of the source at that time was just 5.84 billion light years. The arbitrary 20 billion years I picked would be 3.42 times farther away. I should have made clear I meant distance then, not distance now.

Incidentally, can cosmocalc provide a prediction of when light from such an object, beyond our past light cone, would eventually reach us (if ever)?

We need to be careful about distances here. A comoving distance of 20 billion light year corresponds to a redshift of 2.64 based on the latest Planck data for Ho. The age of the universe at z=2.64 is 2.47 Gy with a look back time of 11.32 Gy. So, the age of the universe for an observer viewing the universe at a comoving distance of 20Gy is only 2.47Gy [a look back distance of 11.32 Gy]. A view of the universe with a look back time of 10 Gy corresponds to a comoving distance of 15.9Gy, not 5.84 Gy. That is the proper distance to the source at the time the now z=2.64 photons were emitted. Our past light cone only extends back to the surface of last scattering at z=1089, which is currently observable. We cannot see any further because the universe was EM opaque prior to that time.

I was taking as an example an alien who lived beyond our present light cone. Tweaking Cosmocalc for a lookback time of 10 billion years, I get a redshift of z=1.719 as you said so if the alien astronomer was 20 billion light years away at that time, that gives a comoving distance of 20*(1+1.719) or 54.38 billion light years. Light from that galaxy has not reached us yet, but I expect it is still close enough that it will do so in the future. However, I can't see a way to use cosmolcalc to tell me when that light will reach us.

phinds said:
I think you likely mean 10E251, not 251, yes?
No, as the paper says, based on the uncertainty in the observable curvature of the universe, you can fit at least 251 observable universes in a universe that is closed, but whose curvature is low enough to be hidden in the error bars. It looks like they're using WMAP5 or 7 data. With most recent PLANCK data you'd get a larger radius of curvature and a correspondingly higher number of patches of observable universe fitting into the larger whole.
For some reason the paper incorrectly uses the term 'Hubble sphere' to describe the observable universe size (distance to the last scattering surface).

GeorgeDishman said:
Incidentally, can cosmocalc provide a prediction of when light from such an object, beyond our past light cone, would eventually reach us (if ever)?
I don't see any obvious way to do it. Maybe @Jorrie can help?

In the meantime, you could use these graphs:
expansion diagrams L&D 3.PNG

and (if the gif doesn't work, just go there:)
http://yukterez.net/lcdm/i.html#plot
http://yukterez.net/lcdm/lcdm-flrw-animation.gif

Bandersnatch said:
No, as the paper says, based on the uncertainty in the observable curvature of the universe, you can fit at least 251 observable universes in a universe that is closed, but whose curvature is low enough to be hidden in the error bars. It looks like they're using WMAP5 or 7 data.
Thanks. I've seen numerous estimates of minimum size for the U relative to the OU and they have been all over the map. I think the biggest was something like 10E500 or so. Was not aware of the one you quote and don't recall having seen any that small. I'm quite amazed that it could BE that small.

Chronos said:
Our past light cone only extends back to the surface of last scattering at z=1089

More precisely, the portion of our past light cone which is visible using EM radiation only extends back to the surface of last scattering. But the actual past light cone itself extends back beyond that--we just can't observe that portion directly with EM radiation (though we can obtain evidence about it in other ways).

I did a search of one of the forums a few weeks ago and found an old post (but I can't find it now of course) that gave the radius of the 3-sphere as:

##R = c / (H_0 sqrt(Ω_K))##

Plugging in the upper limit for ##Ω_K## from the Plank 2015 results then gives a minimum total volume. However, I've seen other sites that use that same argument but get very different numerical values from what I worked out.

GeorgeDishman said:
I did a search of one of the forums a few weeks ago and found an old post (but I can't find it now of course) that gave the radius of the 3-sphere as:

##R = c / (H_0 sqrt(Ω_K))##

Plugging in the upper limit for ##Ω_K## from the Plank 2015 results then gives a minimum total volume. However, I've seen other sites that use that same argument but get very different numerical values from what I worked out.
You should get the minimum radius of the curvature approx R=205 Gly. Is that what you have?

Bandersnatch said:
You should get the minimum radius of the curvature approx R=205 Gly. Is that what you have?
Yes, for a Hubble Length of 14.4 Gly from Wikipedia: ##R = 14.4 / \sqrt(0.005) = 203 Gly## for the radius, which I think means ##2 \pi R = 1280 Gly## for the circumference (proper distance to return to your starting point) and ##2 \pi ^2 R^3 = 1.67*10^6 Gly^3## total volume. The Planck value is 95% confidence (from memory) so that would be 97.5% confidence minimum limits (50% chance of curvature < 0) assuming a 3-sphere rather than some other topology.

I found the other similar calculation I saw recently by Ethan Siegel in a blog (obviously not an authoritative source) but that seems to be a factor of 10 larger:

"If the Universe does curve back and close on itself, its radius of curvature is at least 150 times as large as the part that’s observable to us! Meaning that — even without speculative physics like cosmic inflation — we know that the entire Universe extends for at least 14 trillion light years in diameter, including the part that’s unobservable to us today."

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2012/07/18/how-big-is-the-entire-universe/

Last edited:
Bandersnatch said:
In the meantime, you could use these graphs:
Thanks, I recognise those from the Lineweaver paper. The example I gave is outside our cosmological event horizon so the light will never reach us.

I do not think we have any evidence of what an observer somewhere else in the Universe would see. You must be applying the Cosmological Principal, which is an assumption, not a fact.

Bill McKeeman said:
I do not think we have any evidence of what an observer somewhere else in the Universe would see.

Sure we do; everything we can see is evidence about what observers elsewhere in the universe would see. It's not perfect evidence, but it's not no evidence either.

<h2>1. How do scientists measure the size of the Universe?</h2><p>Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the size of the Universe, including calculating the distance to objects using parallax, using the redshift of light to measure the expansion of the Universe, and observing the cosmic microwave background radiation.</p><h2>2. What is the current estimated size of the Universe?</h2><p>The current estimated size of the observable Universe is about 93 billion light years in diameter. However, the actual size of the entire Universe may be much larger, as it is constantly expanding and may be infinite.</p><h2>3. How old is the Universe?</h2><p>The current estimated age of the Universe is around 13.8 billion years. This age is determined by measuring the expansion rate of the Universe and extrapolating backwards to the point of the Big Bang.</p><h2>4. How do scientists know the age of the Universe?</h2><p>Scientists determine the age of the Universe by measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang. By analyzing the temperature and patterns of this radiation, scientists can calculate the age of the Universe.</p><h2>5. Is it possible to determine the exact size and age of the Universe?</h2><p>While scientists have made great strides in understanding the size and age of the Universe, it is currently impossible to determine the exact measurements. This is due to the vastness and complexity of the Universe, as well as the limitations of our current technology and understanding.</p>

1. How do scientists measure the size of the Universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the size of the Universe, including calculating the distance to objects using parallax, using the redshift of light to measure the expansion of the Universe, and observing the cosmic microwave background radiation.

2. What is the current estimated size of the Universe?

The current estimated size of the observable Universe is about 93 billion light years in diameter. However, the actual size of the entire Universe may be much larger, as it is constantly expanding and may be infinite.

3. How old is the Universe?

The current estimated age of the Universe is around 13.8 billion years. This age is determined by measuring the expansion rate of the Universe and extrapolating backwards to the point of the Big Bang.

4. How do scientists know the age of the Universe?

Scientists determine the age of the Universe by measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang. By analyzing the temperature and patterns of this radiation, scientists can calculate the age of the Universe.

5. Is it possible to determine the exact size and age of the Universe?

While scientists have made great strides in understanding the size and age of the Universe, it is currently impossible to determine the exact measurements. This is due to the vastness and complexity of the Universe, as well as the limitations of our current technology and understanding.