Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How big does a Li-Po battery has to be to absorb a lightning bolt?

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    What I'm asking is not strike and dissipate, I'm asking really capturing and storing the energy for later use. I mean are we talking more than cubic kilometers?

I know a thunderbolt is just regular, really high power DC but if 220V@10,000W can be bottled in a less-than-half-a m³ UPS, why is it more than just a matter of scaling the system up?

I also know that lightning doesn't strike the same point twice but at a big size, a so called "big battery" can have like thousands of antennas and sit in a place like Canada where it rains a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

If you forget about all technical problems you can get a crude estimate by dividing amount of energy in the lightning by the battery energy density - something in the range of MJ per liter.

Not that it makes you any closer to really storing the lightning energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook