How big does a Li-Po battery has to be to absorb a lightning bolt?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ketamynx
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
What I'm asking is not strike and dissipate, I'm asking really capturing and storing the energy for later use. I mean are we talking more than cubic kilometers?

I know a thunderbolt is just regular, really high power DC but if 220V@10,000W can be bottled in a less-than-half-a m³ UPS, why is it more than just a matter of scaling the system up?

I also know that lightning doesn't strike the same point twice but at a big size, a so called "big battery" can have like thousands of antennas and sit in a place like Canada where it rains a lot.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you forget about all technical problems you can get a crude estimate by dividing amount of energy in the lightning by the battery energy density - something in the range of MJ per liter.

Not that it makes you any closer to really storing the lightning energy.