How big does a Li-Po battery has to be to absorb a lightning bolt?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the feasibility of capturing and storing lightning energy for later use. The speaker mentions the potential of using a large battery with multiple antennas in a rainy location such as Canada. However, there are technical challenges and the energy density of the battery may not be sufficient to store the energy from a lightning strike.
ketamynx
What I'm asking is not strike and dissipate, I'm asking really capturing and storing the energy for later use. I mean are we talking more than cubic kilometers?

I know a thunderbolt is just regular, really high power DC but if 220V@10,000W can be bottled in a less-than-half-a m³ UPS, why is it more than just a matter of scaling the system up?

I also know that lightning doesn't strike the same point twice but at a big size, a so called "big battery" can have like thousands of antennas and sit in a place like Canada where it rains a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you forget about all technical problems you can get a crude estimate by dividing amount of energy in the lightning by the battery energy density - something in the range of MJ per liter.

Not that it makes you any closer to really storing the lightning energy.

1. How much energy does a lightning bolt contain?

A typical lightning bolt contains between 1 billion and 5 billion joules of energy.

2. What is the energy capacity of a Li-Po battery?

The energy capacity of a Li-Po battery varies, but a common size for consumer electronics is around 3000 mAh, which is equivalent to approximately 11 watt-hours or 39,600 joules.

3. Can a Li-Po battery actually absorb a lightning bolt?

No, a Li-Po battery is not designed to absorb such a large amount of energy and would likely be destroyed if struck by a lightning bolt.

4. How big would a Li-Po battery have to be to absorb a lightning bolt?

It is difficult to estimate the exact size, as it would depend on the specific energy capacity of the battery, but it would likely need to be significantly larger than any commercially available battery.

5. Is it possible to use a Li-Po battery to protect against lightning strikes?

No, using a Li-Po battery as a form of lightning protection is not a viable option. Lightning protection systems are designed to redirect the lightning strike safely to the ground, rather than attempting to absorb the energy.

Back