How can Dirty clothes effect the Insulation?

• Thread starter MQTUAE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insulation
In summary, Firefox can be used to right-click on the editing box when you are making your reply, and then you can select "Copy as HTML".
MQTUAE
hello,

i'm new here and this is my first question i hope you can help me all.

i live in germany that's why sorry for my english if i make gramma mistakes or other mistakes.

now to my question:

i wanted to know what kind of stuff can effect the insulation of clothes or of all types of insulation material.

if my clothes are wet after sweat there are also fats and other organic substances in the water of sweat and how do they interfere at keeping the body insulate or disturbing the insulating?

does fat,dirt or other organic substances disturb the insulation?

can heat go through fat how is the insulation function in this substances like fat dirt and others.

what happens with the stuff when it is in the clothes and I am wearing it?

i hope you all understand my question

and I am thankful for answer's

thank you

MQTUAE

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome.
I think the reason that dirt in clothes reduces their insulating properties is that it makes the fibres sticky and they aren't separated as much. So the insulating layer of trapped air becomes thinner.
Birds spend a lot of their lives plumping up their feathers and cleaning them to deal with this problem.

sophiecentaur said:
Welcome.
I think the reason that dirt in clothes reduces their insulating properties is that it makes the fibres sticky and they aren't separated as much. So the insulating layer of trapped air becomes thinner.
Birds spend a lot of their lives plumping up their feathers and cleaning them to deal with this problem.

hey sophiecentaur ,

first of all thanks for your answer...

i understand now that dirt makes the fibres sticky but if i think about cotton there is no function of trapping air because down feathers have this structure of trapping air if I am not wrong?

so what makes the cotton to reduce the insulation if its with dirt ?

im a bit out of concentration if you can help me understand it easier because I am under stress a lot nowadays.

thank you again for your answer.

MQTUAE

MQTUAE said:
hello,

i live in germany that's why sorry for my english if i make gramma mistakes or other mistakes.

As a writer, I can help with that part. Check out http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx" .

The pronoun "I" is always capitalized, and the first letter in a sentence is always capitalized. Germany is quite different, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
MQTUAE said:
so what makes the cotton to reduce the insulation if its with dirt ?

That strikes me as a bit weird. I always thought that build-up of any sort would increase the thickness of the insulating layer, and thus the insulation factor itself.
If I'm wrong, I just wasted 30 years of not doing my laundry.

JDługosz said:
As a writer, I can help with that part. Check out http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx" .

The pronoun "I" is always capitalized, and the first letter in a sentence is always capitalized. Germany is quite different, right?

Oh ok I understand thank you in german its different yes. There are also some letters capitalized you have to deal with more gramma I think. But don't know it very well in english I think its easier a default or norm.

So my choice of the word "Effect" was right I guess after reading your posted Link.

Danger said:
That strikes me as a bit weird. I always thought that build-up of any sort would increase the thickness of the insulating layer, and thus the insulation factor itself.

I hope you are just kidding...

Anyone else who can help me a bit with my question?

Thanks!

MQTUAE said:
I hope you are just kidding...

Maybe... :uhh:

Danger said:

You are not kidding, you are simply lying. Few days ago you stated you washed your socks last month.

More 'guk' may sometimes mean thicker clothes but not more insulating air between. Grease, sweat and other unspeakable substances are not as good at insulating as immobile air.
Re your socks - I suggest that dirty socks get flattened underfoot and this is just an extreme example of what I was referring to.

MQTUAE said:
Oh ok I understand thank you in german its different yes. There are also some letters capitalized you have to deal with more gramma I think. But don't know it very well in english I think its easier a default or norm.

So my choice of the word "Effect" was right I guess after reading your posted Link.

The word is "http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/grammar" ", not "gramma". I thought it was just a typo, but you are misspelling it consistently.

In your original sentence, I was expecting a verb, so I supposed you meant "affect".

How can [noun-subject] [verb] [noun-direct object]?

Example, "How can I paint the fence?" or "How can I earn more money?"

Using Firefox, you can right-click on the editing box when you are making your reply, and change the language to English, so the spell checker will find many problems for you. It is easier to figure out if the words themselves are correct!

Is this an "English for Foreigners" forum?
Can't we just discuss the Science of this?
If not, it will be necessary to point out all the shocking americanisms we find on these pages. Where would it stop?
r u not aggrav8ed by it all?
At least the Germans have got it right about the apostrophe.

sophiecentaur said:
Is this an "English for Foreigners" forum?
Can't we just discuss the Science of this?
If not, it will be necessary to point out all the shocking americanisms we find on these pages. Where would it stop?
r u not aggrav8ed by it all?
At least the Germans have got it right about the apostrophe.

Thanks bro...

and thanks for your first answer it helped me a lot .

I think it should be "Thanks sis..."

Borek said:
I think it should be "Thanks sis..."

Did you ever read my profile?

Please note that "A Lot" is two words.

sophiecentaur said:
Did you ever read my profile?

Lol, no. I was sure I have seen something about Sophie being a name, but obviously I must have mixed up some planets/forums/threads/users.

Last edited:
Yes. Sad to say (for others) I am not a hot chick with a penchant for Physics. Neither does my Dad own a Brewery, which would just about have made me ideal.
I do still have most of my own teeth and a lot of the brain cells are still functioning. (Nurse, is that nice MR Blair still Prime Minister?)

JDługosz said:

I is Ich, the first letter is still capitalized, and all nouns are capitalized.

1. How do dirty clothes affect insulation?

Dirty clothes can significantly reduce the effectiveness of insulation in a few different ways. First, dirt and grime can fill in the small air pockets within the insulation material, decreasing its ability to trap and retain heat. Additionally, dirt can act as a conductor, allowing heat to escape through the insulation more easily.

2. Can dirty clothes cause mold or mildew in insulation?

Yes, dirty clothes can create a perfect environment for mold and mildew to grow within insulation. The moisture and organic material from the dirt can provide an ideal breeding ground for these microorganisms, which can damage the insulation and potentially cause health issues.

3. How can dirty clothes affect energy efficiency?

Dirty clothes can significantly impact energy efficiency in a home. When insulation is compromised due to dirt and grime, it cannot effectively regulate the temperature inside the house, causing the heating and cooling system to work harder and use more energy. This can lead to higher energy bills and a less comfortable living environment.

4. What can be done to prevent dirty clothes from affecting insulation?

Regularly cleaning and maintaining both the insulation and the clothes can help prevent the negative effects of dirty clothes on insulation. It is also important to seal any air leaks and to keep the area around the insulation clean to prevent dirt and debris from accumulating.

5. Can dirty clothes cause air quality issues when in contact with insulation?

Yes, dirty clothes can contribute to poor air quality when in contact with insulation. The dirt and grime can release allergens and pollutants into the air, which can lead to respiratory issues and other health problems. Keeping both the insulation and clothes clean can help maintain good air quality in a home.