How Can Galaxy Mass Be Estimated from K-Band Luminosity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Chronos000
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm trying to understand how the mass of a galaxy at redshift 1 can be estimated by knowing its luminosity in the K-band. I've been told you are able to use the IMF but I'm not sure of the details. I really don't see how you could use the salpeter, or the luminosity function as this requires the volume. I do have the half light radius but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use this. A nudge in the right direction would be a great help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations I'm not sure what equations would be relevant hereThe Attempt at a Solution I'm really not sure how to answer this question.