How to evaluate the effective mass tensor (band structure)

In summary, the effective mass tensor is a way to quantify how a material distributes its energy in 3 dimensions. It is given by the equation: \left( \frac{1}{m^*} \right)_{ij} = \frac{1}{\hbar ^2} \left( Aa^2cos(k_xa)\right) where the indices (i,j) represent the x, y, and z coordinate of the point where the derivative is being performed. The value of the effective mass tensor at 0 can be found by taking the second derivative of the energy with respect to all nine indices and adding them together.
LesterTU

Homework Statement

The energy-band dispersion for a 3D crystal is given by

$$E(\mathbf k) = E_0 - Acos(k_xa) - Bcos(k_yb) - Ccos(k_zc)$$
What is the value of the effective mass tensor at ## \mathbf k = 0 ##?

Homework Equations

The effective mass tensor is given by

$$ \left( \frac{1}{m^*} \right)_{ij} = \frac{1}{\hbar ^2} \frac {\partial^2 E(\mathbf k)} {\partial k_i \partial k_j}$$
where ## i,j = x, y, z. ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I'm supposed to carry out the second order derivative of the expression for the energy in order to find the effective mass, but I don't know how to actually evaluate it. Can someone tell me how to do it please!

Physics news on Phys.org
LesterTU said:

Homework Statement

The energy-band dispersion for a 3D crystal is given by

$$E(\mathbf k) = E_0 - Acos(k_xa) - Bcos(k_yb) - Ccos(k_zc)$$
What is the value of the effective mass tensor at ## \mathbf k = 0 ##?

Homework Equations

The effective mass tensor is given by

$$ \left( \frac{1}{m^*} \right)_{ij} = \frac{1}{\hbar ^2} \frac {\partial^2 E(\mathbf k)} {\partial k_i \partial k_j}$$
where ## i,j = x, y, z. ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I'm supposed to carry out the second order derivative of the expression for the energy in order to find the effective mass, but I don't know how to actually evaluate it. Can someone tell me how to do it please!
You just need to actually apply the equation. First pick two values for ##i,j##, let's say ##i=j=x## and apply the formula exactly as it is written. Let us know if it is still unclear.

nrqed said:
You just need to actually apply the equation. First pick two values for ##i,j##, let's say ##i=j=x## and apply the formula exactly as it is written. Let us know if it is still unclear.

So you take the second derivative of ##E(\mathbf k)## with respect to all nine combinations of ##i, j##, and add them together? The cross terms would vanish, and we are left with

$$ \frac {\partial^2 E(\mathbf k)} {\partial k_x \partial k_x} = Aa^2cos(k_xa)$$

and similarly for yy and zz. Thus

$$ \left( \frac{1}{m^*} \right)_{ij} = \frac{1}{\hbar ^2} \left( Aa^2cos(k_xa) + Bb^2cos(k_yb) + Cc^2cos(k_zc) \right) $$

Is this correct?

LesterTU said:
So you take the second derivative of ##E(\mathbf k)## with respect to all nine combinations of ##i, j##, and add them together? The cross terms would vanish, and we are left with

$$ \frac {\partial^2 E(\mathbf k)} {\partial k_x \partial k_x} = Aa^2cos(k_xa)$$

and similarly for yy and zz.
This is correct.

Thus

$$ \left( \frac{1}{m^*} \right)_{ij} = \frac{1}{\hbar ^2} \left( Aa^2cos(k_xa) + Bb^2cos(k_yb) + Cc^2cos(k_zc) \right) $$

Is this correct?
No. You must pick values of i,j to be able to write an explicit expression on the right. From your calculation above, you get that
$$\left( \frac{1}{m^*} \right)_{xx} = \frac{1}{\hbar ^2} \left( Aa^2cos(k_xa)\right) $$
Now you have to write separately the other expressions for yy and zz.

So at ##\mathbf k = 0##, we get

$$\left( m^* \right)_{xx} = \frac{\hbar ^2}{Aa^2} \ \ \ \ \ \ \left( m^* \right)_{yy} = \frac{\hbar ^2}{Bb^2} \ \ \ \ \ \ \left( m^* \right)_{zz} = \frac{\hbar ^2}{Cc^2}$$

Does this answer the question "What is the value of the effective mass tensor ## \left( m^* \right)_{ij}## where ## (i, j = x, y, z)## at ##\mathbf k = 0##"?

LesterTU said:
So at ##\mathbf k = 0##, we get

$$\left( m^* \right)_{xx} = \frac{\hbar ^2}{Aa^2} \ \ \ \ \ \ \left( m^* \right)_{yy} = \frac{\hbar ^2}{Bb^2} \ \ \ \ \ \ \left( m^* \right)_{zz} = \frac{\hbar ^2}{Cc^2}$$

Does this answer the question "What is the value of the effective mass tensor ## \left( m^* \right)_{ij}## where ## (i, j = x, y, z)## at ##\mathbf k = 0##"?
Yes. Good job.

Thank you very much!

They introduced the concept of effective mass in the lectures by stating the definition and giving us an intuitive feel for what it is based on the curvature of the bands, but they never told us how to actually apply it in practice or showed a concrete example, yet this was on an old exam for an introductory course in solid state. I have never encountered a tensor before...

1. What is the effective mass tensor in band structure?

The effective mass tensor in band structure is a mathematical quantity that describes the effective mass of charge carriers (such as electrons or holes) in a material. It is a tensor because it takes into account the direction and anisotropy of the material's band structure.

2. Why is it important to evaluate the effective mass tensor?

Evaluating the effective mass tensor allows us to understand the properties of charge carriers in a material, such as their mobility and response to external forces. This information is crucial for designing electronic devices and studying the behavior of materials in different conditions.

3. How is the effective mass tensor calculated?

The effective mass tensor is typically calculated using the band structure of a material, which is obtained from experimental measurements or theoretical calculations. It involves taking derivatives of the energy dispersion with respect to momentum in different directions and fitting them to a tensorial form.

4. Can the effective mass tensor vary in different materials?

Yes, the effective mass tensor can vary in different materials depending on their band structure. It is a material-specific property and can even vary within the same material due to factors such as strain or doping.

5. What are some applications of the effective mass tensor?

The effective mass tensor has many applications in the field of condensed matter physics, including understanding the transport properties of materials, designing electronic devices, and studying the effects of external fields on charge carriers. It is also used in the development of new materials with desired electronic properties.