How can I access the Hipparchus HR Diagram data for my project?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mu naught
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diagram
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Mu naught
Messages
208
Reaction score
2
Hi, I need a large set of data points from an accurate HR diagram. I will be performing some main-sequence fitting to measure the distance to an open cluster as part of a project.

I talked to my professor and he said trying using the Hipparchus data, but I haven't been able to find it online. What I need are the numbers used to construct the diagram so I can make a plot of them myself to compare with my own data. If you know what he meant, could someone point me in the right direction, or if you know of another source I could use I would appreciate it.

Thanks
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mu naught said:
Hi, I need a large set of data points from an accurate HR diagram. I will be performing some main-sequence fitting to measure the distance to an open cluster as part of a project.

I talked to my professor and he said trying using the Hipparchus data, but I haven't been able to find it online. ..

http://cas.sdss.org/dr3/en/proj/advanced/hr/hipparcos1.asp

==quote==
Much like SDSS data, all Hipparcos data are available online. On the next page, you will use Hipparcos data to help make an H-R diagram. You will calculate the distances to several stars from their parallax angles. You will then use this distance, along with each star's visual magnitude, to calculate its absolute magnitude.
==endquote==

How did you not find the necessary stuff online? It seems to me that this website actually works through the example of making an HR diagram using Hipparchos data. Maybe I'm missing something. :smile:
 
Last edited: