How Can I Build a Stable Tower with Just Paper and Tape?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bibliophile
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Building Tower
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 14K views
bibliophile
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I have to build a tower in class that supports at least three textbooks.

Materials
2 pieces of regular printer paper
12 inches of masking tape

Specifics
Must be at least 4" tall
Cannot crumple

I've been working all day trying to figure it out...any help would be welcomed
 
Physics news on Phys.org
about 1.5 pounds...we have to have at least three, but our main goal is to have over 27
 
Ok I've just worked it out. Cut each A4 sheet of paper into 4 pieces. Then turn them into cylinders keeping them together with the tape. Then simply space these 8 cyinders out with gaps in the middle, and the books should hold. If you don't understand that just say and ill try explain better.
 
yes...just forgot something...they all have to be connected
 
Another possibility is to fold the cylinders at "zig-zag"; this make them more resistant to compression (but reduces their radius). I sometimes play with bank notes this way to sustain glassess.
 
Ok, so I would go for a cylinder shape, wether zig zagged or not, I think this is the way to go. Good luck.
 
bibliophile said:
lightarrow, can you show me an example?

With a bank note: fold the short side of it about 8 mm, then fold the successive 8 mm in the opposite way ecc. At the end you have a kind of "folding door". Then you connect the two short ends of the bank note and you have a kind of "toothed cylinder" one base of which is put horizontallly on a table; then you slowly put an object (a glass for example) trying to find its correct horizontal position on the folded bank note with slight corrections (or it will fall down). It requires some practice. I usually use a 10 € bank note.
 
Last edited:
I had a similar project in a class called "intro to engineering" It was team based and we had to build a load bearing structure out of balsa wood. However, we had to do our brainstorming and final concept design in class to prevent outside help.
 
bibliophile said:
lightarrow, can you show me an example?
In addition to what I wrote, I think that "toothed cylinder" construction should be stabilized putting it between two normal cylinders of paper, so that it cannot "open" or "close" when you put the books on it.
>Good work.
Let me know if you succeeded and how.