How can I calculate gas pressure in a cylinder using mathematical formulas?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Crazymechanic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula Mathematical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Crazymechanic
Messages
831
Reaction score
12
Hi could you please help me out with a formula?
So imagine this abstract cylinder and a piston moving in it , I have let's say an x amount of gas in it and all the other parameters like stroke diameter and so on , by what formula could I calculate the pressure that the gas will have when the piston will reach it's maximum upper point?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PV=nRT is the ideal gas equation.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something related to an "abstract cylinder"...

Re-arranging for pressure give p = nRT/V

p = pressure
n = number of moles of gas
R = 8.31
T = temperature in Kelvin
V = Volume of containerI hope that helps
 
The ideal gas equation (and note the word 'ideal'; in practice, things can be a bit different) won't be enough to give you an answer. You will need to supply information regarding heat transfer. If you make the simplifying assumption that things happen too quickly for any significant heat flow than you can also use the adiabatic expansion/compression equation. (q.v.)
 
note that the change in volume will be Pi*r^2*s, where r is the radius of the piston, s is the distance it moves.
you are going to need to assume the volume and temperature have some kind of relation from thermo laws to deal with T in the equation.

you could prolly use P=f(V) and use derivitaves to get the change.