How can I calculate the cooling time for a ball of iron?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
alivedude
Messages
58
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement



A boll of iron with the volume ##V=\frac{4 \pi 0.01^3}{3}## heats up to 1073 K in a chamber with vacuum, how long will it take until the iron is at 1063 K? The given data is this:
##\rho_{iron} = 7870 kg/m^3##
specific heat.. ##c_i = 0.5 \cdot 10^3 J/(kg \cdot K)##

Homework Equations


Newtons law of cooling: ##T(t)=(T_1-T_0)e^{-\frac{k}{c}t}+T_0##

The Attempt at a Solution



Im stuck with that ##k## in the exponential. I know how to use the differential equation but i can't solve for ##t## as long as i have that unknown ##k## there, right? Can I approximate it or something?

Can I do something else? Since they give me the volume and density I'm thinking that maybe i should go with some other approach?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
Newton's law of cooling does not apply in a vacuum. How does energy transfer happen in a vacuum?

Ofc, don't know what I was thinking. But hey, then I could just calculate the amount of heat needed to lower the temp. by 10 K and then use Stefan Boltzmanns law to solve for ##dt## right? Can I approximate it for a black body?