Determining the flow rate for a cooling system

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about alternative cooling systems for a computing center requiring 1 MW of cooling power. One proposed solution is to use a heat exchanger connected to a cold water pipe from a nearby lake, with the water initially at 10◦C and exiting at 15◦C. The question asks for the flow rate (in m3s−1), and the person's attempt at a solution uses dimensional analysis and calculates a value of 0.0476m^3s-1, but is unsure if the 1000 should be in the numerator or denominator.
David0709
MODERATOR'S NOTE: HOMEWORK INCORRECTLY POSTED TO CLASSICAL FORUM, SO NO TEMPLATE

I need help with the following question:

Please have a look at the question and my attempt at the solution.

Alternative cooling systems are considered for a large computing centre requiring 1 MW of cooling power.(i) One solution is to provide cooling by a heat exchanger interfaced to a cold waterpipe. The water, initially at 10◦C, is taken from a nearby lake.The water coming out of the heat exchanger has a temperature of 15◦C. Whatis the flow rate (in m3s−1)? The specific heat of water is 4200 J kg−1K−.

My attempt at a solution is as follows but uses a dimensional analysis argument and I am unsure whether this is is an appropriate method for tackling the question.

E = mcΔT

But Power = P = E/t = mcΔT/t

Therefore P/cΔT = m/t = Density *Volume /t

But we know density of water is 1000kg m^-3.

So we deduce that P/cΔT*1000 = V/t which has the correct dimensions.

The value I deduce is 0.0476m^3s-1 and am unsure whether that seems reasonable .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell whether the 1000 is in the numerator or the denominator. Please use parenthesis.

1. How is flow rate determined in a cooling system?

The flow rate in a cooling system is determined by measuring the volume of liquid that passes through the system in a given amount of time. This can be done using a flow meter or by calculating the flow rate based on the size of the pipes and the pressure of the liquid.

2. Why is it important to determine the flow rate in a cooling system?

Determining the flow rate in a cooling system is important because it helps to ensure that the system is functioning properly and efficiently. If the flow rate is too low, the system may not be cooling effectively, while a flow rate that is too high can cause excess strain on the system and potentially lead to damage.

3. What factors can affect the flow rate in a cooling system?

The flow rate in a cooling system can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size and type of pipes used, the viscosity of the liquid, the temperature and pressure of the liquid, and any obstructions or restrictions in the system.

4. How can the flow rate be adjusted in a cooling system?

The flow rate in a cooling system can be adjusted by changing the size of the pipes, adjusting the pressure or temperature of the liquid, or by using valves or other flow control devices. It is important to carefully consider these adjustments to ensure the system is functioning optimally.

5. Are there any safety considerations when determining the flow rate in a cooling system?

Yes, there are safety considerations when determining the flow rate in a cooling system. It is important to make sure that the system is not over-pressurized, which can cause leaks or other hazards. It is also important to properly monitor and maintain the system to prevent any potential safety risks.