How Can I Calculate the Downward Force on a Helicopter Using a Column of Air?

• Thread starter rhule009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a helicopter and a cylinder of air, where the downward velocity of the air is needed to keep the helicopter stationary. The solution involves calculating the downward force on the air and the forces needed to keep the helicopter in place.
rhule009

Homework Statement

going through my a level text i found a prob i cannot solve

Homework Equations

1) a helicopter of total mass 1000kg is able to remain in a stationary position by imparting a uniform downward velocity to a cylinder of air below it of effective diametre 6m. Assuming the density of air to be 1.2 kg/m^3, calculate the downward velocity given to the air

The Attempt at a Solution

m=1.2*28.27= 33.92 kg
-m2a2=m1a1
stuck i know the ans is 17.2 m/s but i don't know how to get it

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the formula to calculate the force on a column of air of known density and cross sectional area??
once you figure out that formula ask yourself

what is the downward force on the helicopter?

if the helicopter is to stay in one place what forces must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction?

1. What is difficulty solving a problem?

Difficulty solving a problem refers to the challenges and obstacles one encounters while trying to find a solution to a particular issue or question.

2. Why do people have difficulty solving problems?

There can be several reasons why someone may have difficulty solving a problem. Some common factors include lack of knowledge or information, limited resources, personal biases, and emotional stress.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and by adopting a systematic approach. Some helpful techniques include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, considering different perspectives, and trying out different solutions.

4. What are some common strategies for solving problems?

Some common strategies for problem-solving include trial and error, brainstorming, using analogies or metaphors, and seeking advice or assistance from others.

5. How can I overcome mental blocks while trying to solve a problem?

Mental blocks can be overcome by taking a break from the problem and engaging in a different activity, seeking inspiration from other sources, or trying a different approach to the problem.