Calculating Forces in a Helicopter Lift: F=ma and Cable Tension

• Thread starter runningirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a 7000 kg helicopter accelerating upward at 0.70 m/s/s while lifting a 1000 kg car to a mountaintop will exert a downward force of 4900 N on the air by the rotors. To calculate the tension in the steel cable connecting the car to the helicopter, one approach is to draw a free body diagram and use the equations of motion. However, to fully solve for the tension, Newton's third law may be needed.
runningirl

Homework Statement

A 7000 kg helicopter accelerates upward at 0.70 m/s/s while lifting a 1000 kg car to a mountaintop for a TV commercial photo shoot.

a) What is the downward force exerted on the air by the rotors of the helicopter?

b) A steel cable is used to connect the car to the helicopter. What tension must the cable be able to withstand without breaking? (treat the mass of the cable as negligible)

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a, I used the f=ma equation and got the downward force to be 4900 N. But I'm not sure if I did it correctly.
I'm not sure about part b, do I use the force from part a and use the f=ma equation...?

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm let me try out this qn.

for part (a), if I am not wrong, the downward force exerted on the air by the rotors of the helicopter is much greater than your ans.

*assume that the combined mass of the helicopter and car to be 8000kg, and no air resistance
the lift required to accelerate the combined mass up at 0.7ms-2 is equal and opposite to the force exerted on the air by the rotors by Newton's 3rd Law

For part (b), one way to approach the problem is to isolate either the car or the helicopter and draw a free body diagram. For instance, considering the car by itself, (upwards as the reference direction), Fy=T-Wcar=mcara

If you are considering the helicopter instead, you need part (a) to solve for T

we haven't learned about Newton's third law yet.
is there any way to figure out part a with just using Newton's second law or any equations of motion?

Related to Calculating Forces in a Helicopter Lift: F=ma and Cable Tension

1. What is "Please help force question"?

"Please help force question" is a phrase used to indicate that the person asking the question is seeking urgent assistance or advice. It is often used in situations where the person is facing a problem or challenge and needs immediate help to resolve it.

2. Why is it important to use this phrase when asking for help?

Using this phrase can help convey the urgency of the situation and may prompt people to respond more quickly. It also shows that the person is actively seeking assistance and is open to receiving help.

3. How can "Please help force question" be used effectively?

This phrase is best used when asking for help from someone who has the knowledge or expertise to assist with the specific problem or challenge. It can be used in person, over the phone, or via email or messaging platforms.

4. Is it appropriate to use "Please help force question" in a professional setting?

Yes, it can be used in a professional setting as long as it is done respectfully and in a non-demanding manner. It is important to use this phrase when truly necessary and not as a way to constantly seek attention or assistance.

5. Are there any alternatives to using "Please help force question"?

Yes, there are several alternatives such as "urgent request for assistance", "need immediate help", or "seeking urgent advice". The key is to use a phrase that effectively conveys the urgency of the situation and prompts people to respond quickly.