How can I calculate the temperature of a body between two thermal reservoirs?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Noahfoose
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
If I know the temperatures of the two thermal reservoirs (one hot, one cold), the area of contact between each reservoir and the body, and the coefficients of conduction, it seems like I should be able to calculate the equilibrium temperature of the body, but I can't seem to figure out how.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the tip! I've been looking through that wikipedia page and some information on thermopedia but I'm still a little lost on how I can use that law to determine the temperature of the object
 
You need to figure out the steady state, where heat entering the system from the hot reservoir equals heat leaving the system to the cold reservoir.
 
The temperature is not going to be uniform. It is going to vary monotonically from the high temperature end to the low temperature end.

Chet
 
Chestermiller said:
The temperature is not going to be uniform. It is going to vary monotonically from the high temperature end to the low temperature end.

Chet
Right. I should've mentionned that I was assuming internal equilibrium. Otherwise, you need to solve the heat equation.