Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I calculate the temperature of a body between two thermal reservoirs?

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    If I know the temperatures of the two thermal reservoirs (one hot, one cold), the area of contact between each reservoir and the body, and the coefficients of conduction, it seems like I should be able to calculate the equilibrium temperature of the body, but I can't seem to figure out how.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 7, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the tip! I've been looking through that wikipedia page and some information on thermopedia but I'm still a little lost on how I can use that law to determine the temperature of the object

5. Nov 7, 2014 #4

DrClaude

You need to figure out the steady state, where heat entering the system from the hot reservoir equals heat leaving the system to the cold reservoir.

6. Nov 7, 2014 #5
    The temperature is not going to be uniform. It is going to vary monotonically from the high temperature end to the low temperature end.

Chet

7. Nov 7, 2014 #6

DrClaude

Right. I should've mentionned that I was assuming internal equilibrium. Otherwise, you need to solve the heat equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook