How can I determine the air pressure in a wind tunnel for an airplane drag test?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
yuukichi
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, have been reading these forums for a very long time, have always found it very helpful and informative.

There's this problem which I can't seem to get my head around, it seems very straight forward, but every time I try to do it, I always end up doing it wrong. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction.

The problem is:

Dimensional analysis showed that the following relation describes the drag force F on an airplane

[tex]\frac{F}{\rho d^{2}u^{2}}[/tex] = f[tex]\left(\frac{\mu}{\rho l u}\right)[/tex]

Where u the airplane velocity, l is the characteristic length of the airplane, [tex]\rho[/tex] is the surrounding air density and [tex]\mu[/tex] is the viscosity of the air.
The drag on an airplane cruising at 390km/h in air at atmospheric pressure and temperature is to be determined from tests on a 1:10 scale model placed in a pressurised wind tunnel. To minimise compressibility effect the air speed in the wind tunnel is also to be 390km/h. Determine the air pressure in the wind tunnel, assuming the air temperature for the model and prototype.

I've tried separating F on the LHS by introducing a constant in the RHS, but that ends up totally wrong :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks :)
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
The only unknown thing is the function f: one must measure it experimentaly. If you only care about one particular real life problem, then you only need the value of f for that problem: you get this value by one experiment on the model that gives the same argument for f as the real life problem.
 
hey thread what answer did u get fir this question. pliz help me everyone.