How can I expand sin(x + y) + sin(x - y) to get 2sinxcosy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
bubblygum
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Proving trig identities

I have 2 more this time, thanks for the time!

Homework Statement


[tex]-sin^2x-sin^2y+1=cos(x+y)cos(x-y)[/tex]

Homework Equations


Compound, double, pythagorean, reciprocal, quaotient, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution


R.H.S.
cos(x+y)cos(x-y)
= (cosxcosy-sinxsiny)(cosxcosy+sinxsiny)
= cos^2xcos^2y - sin^2xsin^2y

Not sure how to finish this off. Or have I started it off wrong?

Homework Statement


sin(x+y)+sin(x-y)=2sinxcosx


Homework Equations


Same as above


The Attempt at a Solution


L.H.S.
sin(x+y)+sin(x-y)
= sinxcosy+sinycosx + sinxcosy-sinycosx
= sinxcosy+sinxcosy
= 2sinxcosy
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider using the Pythagorean identity on what you have come up with so far.
 
Great, solved it thanks.
Is the second one even possible?
 
bubblygum said:
Is the second one even possible?

Yes, just expand sin(x + y) + sin(x - y) using the sum and difference identities for sine and you'll get it.