How can I find the angle between the 3d vector & x-axis ?

In summary, Anas is a new member of the forum and has a question about finding the angle between a vector and the x-axis. He also asks for an explanation of the method for solving this question. However, he apologizes for any mistakes he may have made due to his poor English language skills. The conversation also mentions the dot product of two vectors, which Anas admits to not knowing about.
@ADAMS@
Hello :- My name is Anas I'm a new member in this forum .

I have a small question

what is the angle between the vector 3i +j-4k and the x-axis ?

and please explain me what is the method of answer this question

Im sorry , I know I have many mistakes in this topic because my English language is poor

Thank you , and I wish from you to answer me very fast

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us what you know about the Dot product of 2 vectors.

I Didnt know about this
Im sorry

Maybe you know it as the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for finding the angle between a 3D vector and the x-axis?

The formula for finding the angle between a 3D vector and the x-axis is arccos(x / ||v||), where x is the x-component of the vector and ||v|| is the magnitude of the vector.

2. Can I use trigonometry to find the angle between a 3D vector and the x-axis?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to find the angle between a 3D vector and the x-axis. You will need to use the inverse cosine function (arccos) to calculate the angle.

3. How do I find the angle between a 3D vector and the x-axis in degrees?

To find the angle between a 3D vector and the x-axis in degrees, you can convert the result of the arccos function from radians to degrees by multiplying it by 180/π.

4. What is the range of possible angles between a 3D vector and the x-axis?

The range of possible angles between a 3D vector and the x-axis is 0 to 180 degrees or 0 to π radians. This is because the angle between two vectors can never be negative.

5. Is there a specific direction for the angle between a 3D vector and the x-axis?

Yes, the angle between a 3D vector and the x-axis has a specific direction, either clockwise or counterclockwise. This direction is determined by the right-hand rule, where you curl your fingers in the direction of the vector and your thumb points in the direction of the angle between the vector and the x-axis.