How can I find the eigenvectors and basis for the eigenspace of a given matrix?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jjones1573
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Eigenvectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
jjones1573
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Im looking at finding the eigenvectors of a matrix but also a basis for the eigenspace

A = [ 6 16 ]
[ -1 -4 ]

lambda = 4
lambda = -2


Homework Equations


(A - lambda I ) v = 0


The Attempt at a Solution



So with the above equation I get:

for lambda = 4

[ 6 - 4 16 ] [ v1 ] = [ 0 ]
[ -1 -4 - 4 ] [ v2 ] [ 0 ]

so

2 v1 + 16 v2 = 0
-v1 - 8v2 = 0

so v1 = 8v2

and the basis for the eigenspace is span [ 8 ]
[ 1 ]

First is that right? because when I put it into an eigenvector calculator on the web it gives me
-8 instead of 8 but I can't see how I could get to that.

Second if this is the basis for the eigenspace then how can I find the eigenvectors for the eigenvalue?

thanks,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jjones1573 said:
2 v1 + 16 v2 = 0
-v1 - 8v2 = 0

so v1 = 8v2

You made a sign error. v1=-8v2

ehild
 
Oh yeah that's right thanks.

Is it as simple as the vector is:

[-8v2]
[v2]

and the eigenspace is: span

[-8]
[1]
 
Sorry I realized this should have been posted in the calculus section would it be possible to have it moved?

I think what I have put above for the eigenspace is correct? But what about the eigenvector I can't seem to understand what this is.
 
(-8,1) multiplied by any number is an eigenvector. You need to find the other one, which belongs to the other eigenvalue lambda=2.
The two eigenvectors are the basis of the "eigenspace". You can choose the normalised vectors as basis.

ehild
 
Oh thanks. Do I need to normalise the vectors or is it fine to just find the two vectors and give that?
 
You do not need to normalize in principle.

ehild