How can I find the tension in a rope at equilibrium point on a high wire?

  • Thread starter Thread starter foreignfishes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Equilibrium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
foreignfishes
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Arlene is to walk across a "high wire" strung horizontally between two buildings 14.0m apart. The sag in the rope when she is at the midpoint is 10.0 degrees. If her mass is 52.0kg , what is the tension in the rope at this point?

Homework Equations


Fnet=ma
a=0 so fnet=0

The Attempt at a Solution


So I know that Fg=9.8*52=509.6 N, and I broke down Ft into Ftx and Fty. sin10=Fty/Ft but I have no idea how to use Fg in that formula to find Ft.
In my notes I have "Ft=(m*g)/(2sinθ) which gives the correct answer, but I don't understand how I got that formula. Can someone explain where it came from/give me some guidance. Why 2sin?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since she is in equilibrium, ƩF = 0. In particular, the y-component of the net force must equal zero.

What forces act on her? What are their y-components?