1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding tension in a wire in our static equilibrium unit

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    This is the final question on a static equilibrium quiz i had today (physics 12). when comparing answers (as you tend to do after the quiz "did you get x for question y?"), half of my friends (all of equal ability in the course) got a different answer from me, and the other half the same. I am wondering if i have done this correctly.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a wire is suspended by 2 telephone poles 40m apart. a 0.5kg bird lands directly at the midpoint of the wire, causing it to sag 2m below the original height. what is the tension in the wire.
    bird mass = 0.5kg
    wire length = 40m
    wire displacement at center = 2m

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\tau=F(r\sin{\theta})[/tex]
    [tex]\tau=F\times r\bot[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured I wouldn't need θ, because I already have the leaver arm (r⊥). calculating both of these (x-axis as r⊥ and y-axis as F, and vice-versa respectively) should each yield a value with the units in m∙N (torque). Am I correct in assuming these torques will be equal (or opposite?)

Right half of wire freebody diagrams (only components pictured, no hypotenuse drawn):
    ___________20m___________ (distance : r⊥)
    |
    |
    | 0.5kg∙9.8m/s² = 4.9N (force : F)
    |
    |

____________T____________ (force : F)
    |
    |
    | 2m (distance : r⊥)
    |
    |

[tex]4.9N \times 20m = T \times 2m[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{4.9N \times 20m}{2m} = T[/tex]
    [tex]49N = T[/tex]

others in my class insist that i should have divided 49N by 2, but wouldn't that be finding the tension in just half of the wire?
    or have i made assumptions that just don't work (using torque to solve the question to begin with, which is where i suspect i may have went wrong) elsewhere in my work?

thank you very much for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    I was stumped at first, but now realize you assume the wire is horizontal to begin with when its shape is that of a catenary, see,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

but if we simplify the problem and assume the wire is horizontal then,

2Tsin(theta) = mg

where theta = inverse tangent(.1)

I think your answer is off by a factor of two. Draw a free body diagram of the situation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook