If her mass is 50.0kg what is the tension on the rope?

  • Thread starter Thread starter engineer2010
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Rope Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
engineer2010
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Any Help would be appreciated

Problem 1:
A person is to walk across a high wire strung horiziontally between 2 buildings 10.0 m apart. The sag when she is in the exact center of the rope is 10*. If her mass is 50.0kg what is the tension on the rope?


Okay I know that the tension on the rope will be the same on each side as she is in the center of the rope. I also found the force of gravity to be 490N. but I am confused as too how I use this information to find the tension of the rope.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to draw a force diagram and use trig to work out the component of the force acting along the length of the wire.
 
ok so I used cos10* X 5m and got 4.92N for the tension of one rope so then do i just times it by two and will then have the tension throughtout the entire rope?
 
I did not check you numbers to see if the tension is correct, but, the tension in the rope will be the same throughout. So to answer your question, no, you do not multiple your answer by two.