How can I find the torque/moment of force about an axis?

Sorry, i don't know english words very well... I was trying to say that my teacher told me to find the module so i can find the unitary vector so i can get the force. And then, by multiplying the force by the unitary vector and then doing the determinant so i can get the torque. thats what he said. actually the orientation of the system is like this:x-axis is directed from O to Ay-axis is directed from O to Bz-axis is directed from O to Cand he said that A, B and C are in the same plane but i do not understand how...He said that since the wall is in equilibrium, then the sum of all torques over
GaussianSurface

Homework Statement

The Trump's wall is so weak that has to be supported by two cables as is shown in the figure. If the tension over the cables BD and FE are 900 N and 675 N respectively.

(I'LL UPLOAD AN IMAGE OF THE PROBLEM SO YOU CAN SEE IT)

Homework Equations

τ = r χ F
Mo = r χ F

The Attempt at a Solution

e= unitary vector
ra= 1.5i + 2j + 2k
ιeι= √1.5^2+2^2+2^2
ιeι= 3.20

e= 0.46i + 0.62j + 0.62k
F= 900(0.46i+0.62+0.62k)
F= 414i+558j+558k)

and by performing the determinant of the torque

T= r χ F
T= 9k - 9j

That's what I got by doing it but i don't really know if I'm okay. Hope someone can help me

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 541
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 534
  • 21909052_1430282113693707_2004416146_o.jpg
    21909052_1430282113693707_2004416146_o.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 549
Physics news on Phys.org
GaussianSurface said:
The Trump's wall is so weak that has to be supported by two cables as is shown in the figure.
It was only a matter of time before these types of problems started showing up.:oldlaugh:
GaussianSurface said:
T= 9k - 9j
I don't think this answer is correct. I'm also not sure what the unit vector you are calculating is for.

Since the torque is given by ##\tau=\mathbf{r}\times\mathbf{F}##, we first need to find the vectors ##\mathbf{r}## and ##\mathbf{F}##. Can you show what you get for these?

NFuller said:
It was only a matter of time before these types of problems started showing up.:oldlaugh:

I don't think this answer is correct. I'm also not sure what the unit vector you are calculating is for.

Since the torque is given by ##\tau=\mathbf{r}\times\mathbf{F}##, we first need to find the vectors ##\mathbf{r}## and ##\mathbf{F}##. Can you show what you get for these?
I wrote it above
the r what I got was 1.5i + 2j + 2 k
and the force we know that in order to compute this is the module of F by the unitary vector ''e''
then F= ιFι e
since I've got F which is equal to 900 I just got to multiply by the unitary vector which is defined by the formula of e= e/ιeι
P.S: I don't know how to write absolute values so I try as much as I can so the problem can be well specified.

NFuller said:

Haha I live in Mexico and my teacher is kinda funny with this problems he knows how to make problems LOL

GaussianSurface said:
the r what I got was 1.5i + 2j + 2 k
There is no ##\hat{k}## component for ##\mathbf{r}##.
GaussianSurface said:
and the force we know that in order to compute this is the module of F by the unitary vector ''e''
then F= ιFι e
I see. The unit vector ##\mathbf{e}## is not quite right. The ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}## components should have the same magnitude but ##\hat{i}## needs to be negative.

NFuller said:
There is no ##\hat{k}## component for ##\mathbf{r}##.

I see. The unit vector ##\mathbf{e}## is not quite right. The ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}## components should have the same magnitude but ##\hat{i}## needs to be negative.

Damn, then it'd be like this?

r = -1.5 i + 2 j ?
or
r = -2 i + 2 j ?
what i do not know is if I am going to substract the meter to the 2.5, please tell me if that is okay or what...

The components of ##\mathbf{r}## are composed of the distance in x and distance in y it takes to go from the point ##O## to the point ##B##.

NFuller said:
The components of ##\mathbf{r}## are composed of the distance in x and distance in y it takes to go from the point ##O## to the point ##B##.

Mmm i think i got it so:

r = -2.5i + 2j

and then i can find the module of r and then the unitary vector so next i can perform the determinant and i'll got the torque?

GaussianSurface said:
r = 2.5i + 2j
This looks good. Now what is your result for ##\mathbf{e}##?

NFuller said:
This looks good. Now what is your result for ##\mathbf{e}##?

The module will be
r= √6.25+4 = 3.20
e= -0.78i + 0.62j
am I right?
because i actually did one like this but i thought i was wrong even though my components were wrong LOL

Attachments

• 21951346_1430341187021133_2038317970_o.jpg
    21951346_1430341187021133_2038317970_o.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 495
##\mathbf{e}## points in the direction of the cable. So it will have all three components ##\hat{i}##, ##\hat{j}##, and ##\hat{k}##. To find ##\mathbf{e}##, find the vector that points from ##B## to ##D## then divide it by the length of the vector.

NFuller said:
##\mathbf{e}## points in the direction of the cable. So it will have all three components ##\hat{i}##, ##\hat{j}##, and ##\hat{k}##. To find ##\mathbf{e}##, find the vector that points from ##B## to ##D## then divide each compo

e= 1i - 2j + 4k ?
and the i divide

The vector pointing down the length of the cable is ##-1\hat{i}-2\hat{j}+2\hat{k}## now divide this vector by its length to get ##\mathbf{e}##.

GaussianSurface said:
r = -1.5 i + 2 j ?
You are switching between +1.5i and -1.5i. Which way are you defining the i axis? Is the direction OC positive or negative?
GaussianSurface said:
find the module of r and then the unitary vector
Why are you finding the modulus of the r vector? You want the unit vector in the force direction in order to find the vector F.

NFuller said:
The vector pointing down the length of the cable is ##-1\hat{i}-2\hat{j}+2\hat{k}## now divide this vector by its length to get ##\mathbf{e}##.

e = -0.32i - 0.62j + 0.62k
then i can multply e by the force
so then, i'll be able to perform the derminant right? since i got r and F

haruspex said:
You are switching between +1.5i and -1.5i. Which way are you defining the i axis? Is the direction OC positive or negative?

Why are you finding the modulus of the r vector? You want the unit vector in the force direction in order to find the vector F.
Well, my teacher told me to find the module so i can find the e

GaussianSurface said:
e = -0.32i - 0.62j + 0.62k
Something is still not right. You need to divide by the length of the vector which is ##\sqrt{(-1)^{2}+(-2)^{2}+(2)^{2}}##.

GaussianSurface said:
Well, my teacher told me in order to find the module of it
NFuller said:
Something is still not right. You need to divide by the length of the vector which is ##\sqrt{(-1)^{2}+(-2)^{2}+(2)^{2}}##.
You mean the module, right?

GaussianSurface said:
Well, my teacher told me to find the module so i can find the e
Yes, but you were finding e of the wrong vector. In post #10 you found the modulus of the r vector, which is not helpful. You want the unit vector in the direction of the force.
I see NFuller put you on the right track in post #11.

GaussianSurface said:
You mean the module, right?

e= -1/√5 -2/√5+2/√5

GaussianSurface said:
e= -1/√5 -2/√5+2/√5
I do not think you are using the terminology correctly, and the √5 is wrong.
Given a vector (-1,-2,2), its modulus (not module) is √((-1)2+(-2)2+22)=3. This is a scalar.
The e vector would mean the unit vector in the direction of the original vector, and that is obtained by dividing by the modulus, giving (-1/3,-2/3,2/3).

Last edited:
GaussianSurface said:
e= -1/√5 -2/√5+2/√5
You need to put the unit vectors in. The magnitude is not ##\sqrt{5}## it is 3 as haruspex said.

NFuller said:
Yes, that's right.
No it is not. Please see post #21.

haruspex said:
No it is not. Please see post #21.
Yes sorry, I just corrected my post

Last edited:

1. How is torque or moment of force defined?

Torque or moment of force is defined as the measure of the ability of a force to cause rotational motion around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. What are the units of torque or moment of force?

The units of torque or moment of force are commonly expressed as Newton-meters (N·m) in the SI system. In the imperial system, the units are foot-pounds (ft·lb) or inch-pounds (in·lb).

3. How can I calculate torque or moment of force about an axis?

To calculate torque or moment of force about an axis, you need to know the magnitude of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance.

4. Can torque or moment of force be negative?

Yes, torque or moment of force can be negative. This occurs when the force applied causes a clockwise rotation, which is considered a negative direction. Positive torque or moment of force occurs when the force applied causes a counterclockwise rotation.

5. What are some real-life applications of torque or moment of force?

Torque or moment of force is used in many real-life applications, such as opening a door, tightening a bolt, or turning a steering wheel. It is also important in engineering and physics, where it is used to understand and analyze the motion of objects in rotational systems, such as engines and machines.