How Can I Fix My Squeaky Shoes?
- Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 6K views
Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe
- 301
- 3
I'm sorry I doubted the Trib.tribdog said:shoes don't squeek on all different types of floors. and on most floors you really have to try to make it squeek. put some talcum powder on the bottom of your shoe and if it still squeeks then you know the problem is internal,(which I already know it is, but you don't want to listen)
I checked my shoes more closely last night and wound up finding that there indeed was a place where one layer of the sole was no longer attached to the other. I picked up some Shoe Goo today to fix it.
Thank you Trib.

jimmyfingers
Hi,
This is Jimmy Fingers, the mindreader and mentalist.
I had the same problem with a used, ebay purchased pair of comfortable Johnston & Murphy loafers. I was almost positive it was the contact of the sole and the floor, but, no, not so.
After disassembling the shoe, I noticed that there was an aftermarket insole placed inside of the shoe. I should have suspected that, due to the limited space available in the heel cup. Upon pulling it out, I tried walking on the shoe, and it STILL squeaked and squealed. I then pulled the built in intermediate sole, and replaced the aftermarket insole. Voila! The squeaking and squealing were GONE! Completely, a thing of the past...
Make sure that you are properly diagnosing the source of the squeal before worrying about the contact with the floor and the bottom layer of rubber. I am almost positive that most of the time, this is internal and not external, although it sounds exactly like it's coming from the floor.
Jimmy Fingers
www.jimmyfingers.com
admitted male shoe hound
This is Jimmy Fingers, the mindreader and mentalist.
I had the same problem with a used, ebay purchased pair of comfortable Johnston & Murphy loafers. I was almost positive it was the contact of the sole and the floor, but, no, not so.
After disassembling the shoe, I noticed that there was an aftermarket insole placed inside of the shoe. I should have suspected that, due to the limited space available in the heel cup. Upon pulling it out, I tried walking on the shoe, and it STILL squeaked and squealed. I then pulled the built in intermediate sole, and replaced the aftermarket insole. Voila! The squeaking and squealing were GONE! Completely, a thing of the past...
Make sure that you are properly diagnosing the source of the squeal before worrying about the contact with the floor and the bottom layer of rubber. I am almost positive that most of the time, this is internal and not external, although it sounds exactly like it's coming from the floor.
Jimmy Fingers
www.jimmyfingers.com
admitted male shoe hound
Similar threads
- arabianights
- · Replies 5 ·
- DIY Projects
- Replies
- 5
- anorlunda
- · Replies 10 ·
- Computing and Technology
- Replies
- 10
- Marina123456
- · Replies 1 ·
- Nuclear Engineering
- Replies
- 1
- core7916
- · Replies 55 ·
- Electrical Engineering
- Replies
- 55
- cpscdave
- · Replies 3 ·
- Computing and Technology
- Replies
- 3
- dwn
- · Replies 14 ·
- Electrical Engineering
- Replies
- 14
- Bussell93
- · Replies 7 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 7
- muzialis
- · Replies 1 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 1
- ramses07
- · Replies 5 ·
- Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
- Replies
- 5
- Physicslearner500039
- · Replies 9 ·
- Electrical Engineering
- Replies
- 9